Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can receive but not send emails

My wife can receive but not send emails. This has been going on for about two weeks and applies to her Iphone, Ipad and computer which uses Outlook 2016 so this is not a gadget problem.

I have read the other threads as this seems to be an ongoing issue and have tried all the suggestions in various threads from deleting the account and setting it up again to double checking User name and password.

I have probably spent over two hours on the phone trying to solve this and spoken to 2 or 3 people on each of my calls, but nobody knows how to solve this. All anybody wants to do is push me towards the gadget issue team who charge for their service. As this is an issue on 3 different devices it is purely an email issue that is now driving both my wife & I mad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can receive but not send emails

Hi SHfamily,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the email issues. When you try and send your Wife an email, do you get any error messages or does it look like it's gone through? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

She can receive emails easily enough from anybody, but cannot send!

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My apologies, I completely read that wrong. Need more coffee!

I've checked the IP address and it appears to be blacklisted. I've checked it on Spamhaus - https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Going forward, as I do want to help resolve this, please see this link for further help.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS if you are checking a customers WAN address against Spamhaus, it's important to say which list the address is on. Inclusion on the policy block list (PBL) is normal and expected and as such will not prevent email being sent. Inclusion on the others will do so, but again which list can give useful information to assist with tracking down the offending device.

@SHfamily what isn't clear is if the problem only effects your wife's devices and mail account and any other users (if any) can send successfully. If indeed, your address is one of the 'naughty' lists in Spamhaus then it has to be the case that any and all devices in your home are affected. You say that your wife has an iPhone, does it send successfully if away from your home ie not connected to your home wifi?

Working on the basis that, indeed, your home address is listed on Spamhaus's CSS block list, (bit of an assumption but this does seem to be an increasing common occurrence), what you need to do firstly is to think carefully and make a list of all of the devices you currently have connected, Smart TVs, tablets, any Amazon Firesticks by any chance, been trying to circumvent the geo blocks on videos by installing some oddball VPN 'unblocker' software?

Then have a read through this post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... 

which give a comprehensive overview of what steps are needed to track down the device responsible for your inclusion on the list and then how to eliminate it.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I have only had time to check IP addresses of router, Ipad, Iphone & Computer, but none of them are listed on Spamhaus. We have got Amazon Firesticks & Alexa devices, but all these are connected to the router. I can send emails when I am connected to the internet although I normally do this from a different email account.

I am out today, but any further suggestions gratefully received.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@SHfamily wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I have only had time to check IP addresses of router, Ipad, Iphone & Computer, but none of them are listed on Spamhaus. We have got Amazon Firesticks & Alexa devices, but all these are connected to the router. I can send emails when I am connected to the internet although I normally do this from a different email account.

I am out today, but any further suggestions gratefully received.

thanks

You need to check your external public IP address (it is like the number on your front door), not the internal IP addresses of your devices (those are like the rooms in your house).  You can find your IP address by typing "what is my IP" in to a search engine.  That is what you compare to the spamhaus lists.  https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

After you know what list you are on, tell us (but don't show your public IP here on the forum).

Sending email using another email address provider (not VM) will generally work, as that provider may not be using the blocklist to stop communication with its servers.  I have heard that BT are using it, too.  You and your wife can send using webmail access (https://mail2.virginmedia.com/) to VM emails - that is more secure and uses different servers, so you won't be blocked.

Please come back to ask us questions to get this resolved.  Every day you do nothing, there are likely to be spambots in your network sending spam to the world.  It would be good if you turned off your network as much as possible until you have time to search.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Miss Pasko,

Yes it turns out IP address is on Spamhaus list on the CSS list and the PBL list, but not XBL list. I have looked at PBL and tried to change settings as suggested but now having done that my wife cannot receive or send! I will change back to original settings as I imagine I need to overcome CSS problem. Not sure what to do about CSS listing.

How do I track down the problem. We have two Amazon firesticks one of which my son uses on his TV which could be the problem.

Help!

Many thanks for your assistance to date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@SHfamily wrote:

Hi Miss Pasko,

Yes it turns out IP address is on Spamhaus list on the CSS list and the PBL list, but not XBL list. I have looked at PBL and tried to change settings as suggested but now having done that my wife cannot receive or send! I will change back to original settings as I imagine I need to overcome CSS problem. Not sure what to do about CSS listing.

How do I track down the problem. We have two Amazon firesticks one of which my son uses on his TV which could be the problem.

Help!

Many thanks for your assistance to date.

1. The PBL is the list for normal household connections - don't try to do anything to change that.
  2. The CSS is the problem - CSS stands for composite snowshoe spam or something like that.  It means something in your home is sending spam without your knowledge.  it is not a normal email programme, but a spambot.  It sends out quietly and tries to go undetected.  But the people at spamhaus and other organisations eventually detect it and then list the IP addresses it is coming from.
  3. You can also prove the problem by using logging in outlook or thunderbird if you have a pc or laptop able to use those programmes (thunderbird is free)  (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237... A VM305 error is what you would almost certainly find.
  4. To track down the problem, re-read message 5 from jem101 https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-receive-but-not-send-emails/m-p/4109285#M183037.  He links to the thread in our community that shows  you how to find the device(s) that have malware.
  5. DO NOT ignore this.  The malware may go quiet for a while, and spamhaus will de-list you, but the malware/spambot will wake up again and  you will be back on the list.  Also malware may be doing other things that harm you and your family.  Not all security providers can spot these malware programmes yet.
  6. Devices have been firesticks, tvs, smartphones etc.- anything that can connect to the internet is potentially vulnerable.

If you need help, you can always ask us - or get a trusted assistant in your home to follow the instructions.  In the meantime, it would be a good idea to turn off your network unless absolutely necessary.  You are now aware that you are a source of spam!  When you find the device - consider reporting it to the security providers - they could learn from you and you would be a hero!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks