Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can receive but not send emails, have changed password

As stated in title, can't send emails, and I have changed password.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can receive but not send emails, have changed password

This can be many causes, please answer some questions:

Then the community can assist with diagnosis.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

yes, current customer

not sure, it's an old ntlworld.com account on an iPad using the Mail app

just tried to send an email Following that link, but it says it's for notifications only and I need to be logged in, which I am?

password changed on Virgin Media page

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DonC1745 wrote:

Hi, 

yes, current customer

not sure, it's an old ntlworld.com account on an iPad using the Mail app

just tried to send an email Following that link, but it says it's for notifications only and I need to be logged in, which I am?

password changed on Virgin Media page

I know I've asked a lot of confusing questions - it all gives us clues on how to lead you to self-help!

Depending on the age of your ipad (and its operating system) - you may need to update the settings to get email sending to work now that you have changed password.  Read the info in these two posts and help article.  Let us know if you need assistance or if it does not change/help - we can move on to another angle.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is one particularly common cause recently of exactly this issue which unfortunately is a bit of pain in the proverbial to fix but let's see if that is the reason.

Open a web browser and goto www.whatismyip.com Towards the upper left is a line which will read My Public IPv4 is: x.x.x.x make a note of this address

Then goto www.spamhaus.org/lookup and you should see two dialog boxes, enter the IP address you got earlier into the top box and press Lookup

You should see a page containing information similar to this

x.x.x.x is not listed in the SBL

x.x.x.x is listed in the PBL, in the following records:

•  

x.x.x.x is not listed in the XBL

Copy and paste the results into a reply to this thread but for goodness sake remove the actual IP address, just replace it with x or something.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but cant see where to access settings...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello DonC1745

If you referring to the setting for your iPad to check for the software update if you follow these steps:

• Go to Settings 
  • General, then tap Software Update.
  • Tap Download and Install.

Hope this helps

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DonC1745 wrote:

Thanks, but cant see where to access settings...

Hi DonC1745,

This is the Virgin Media community forum.  Most of the responses will be from the general public - people who like to help others by sharing knowledge, experience and tips.  You aren't giving us much information to assist!  If you don't know how to access the settings on your iPad, is that general settings, or email settings?  What have you tried?  What error message do you get?  Have you been able to test things using webmail yet, as advised earlier.  That can help us diagnose where the sticking point is.

What we know:

• You are a VM customer
  • You have an @ntlworld.com address
  • You can't send emails in the apple mail app on an iPad
  • You changed your password

What we don't know:

• Is the email address linked to your billing account? - sign in and look on the my profile page (scroll down to my services), or else on the manage accounts tab
  • what error message do you get from the ipad?
  • did you change your password before the problem started or after?
  • Can you send emails with webmail in a web browser?  If not, what error message do you get from that?
  • Do you have any other equipment that we can use to test your problems?
  • Is your WAN external public IP address blocked because of spamhaus.org listing? see message 5 in this thread for instructions.

I am including a link to the apple support pages that discuss how to use the email app.  There is a link at the bottom of that page to the apple community - but feel free to come back to us - we have a good track record and can talk you through most things.  But you need to come back more than once a month or we'll still be helping you in 2025.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210511