cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can receive but not send email on iPad and iPhone

Aiboman
Settling in

Hi everyone, 

a couple of days ago my iPad and iPhone suddenly stopped sending email , I can receive fine , when I try to send I get the “whoosh” sound as it’s going but then a few seconds later I get a “ Cannot send email , username or password incorrect “ message 

I tried deleting the account and setting up again , checked and double checked all server settings etc but still could not  send , so yesterday I called virgin media support and they were very helpful and told me the reason why I could not send is that my account had been locked due to suspicious activity on the account 

the tech guy said he will unlock the account and the password will have to be changed , he did that and before he went he said it will take about 20 minutes or so for the account to become active again 

unfortunately over 24 hours later it’s still not working , I can again receive but cannot send , so again I’ve just deleted the account from my iPad and set it up again but once again when I try to send I just get a message saying password is wrong 

I’ve just called support again and they say they cannot see anything wrong with the account and cannot help any further 

I can send using webmail , and I’ve changed the password again but still no joy 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated 

These are the instructions I’ve followed from the virgin media website…….

To update your IMAP Server settings:

1. Open Settings, depending on your version of iOS this may found in:
    Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
    Settings > Mail
    Settings > Accounts and Passwords
    Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Find the Incoming mail server settings
  3. Change the IMAP settings to:
    • Host Name: imap.virginmedia.com
    • Username: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com
  4. Select Advanced
  5. Find Incoming Settings
  6. Update the Settings to:
    • Select Use SSL
    • Server Port: 993
  7. Select Back to go back to the account settings
  8. Select SMTP in the Outgoing mail server settings
  9. Select smtp.ntlworld.com
  10. Find the Outgoing Mail Server settings
  11. Update the settings to:
    • Host Name: smtp.virginmedia.com
    • Username: Your full email address e.g. Richard.Branson@ntlworld.com
    • Password: Your Virgin Media Mail password
    • Authentication: Password
    • Select Use SSL
    • Server Port: 465
  12. Select Done to check and save your new SMTP settings. Your SMTP server name will updated to show smtp.virginmedia.com
  13. Select Back to return to the mail settings
  14. Select Done to check and save your new IMAP settings

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have access to a desktop / laptop device connected to the same network then consider trying the following to help determine the cause. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi Aiboman,

Thanks for posting, and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with sending mail.

Have you been able to try the advise from 用心棒 ?

Alex_Rm

darrincutting
Tuning in

Hi 
Did you ever resolve this as I have the same problem

thanks

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @darrincutting,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome back to the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're facing a similar problem. Can you please try the advice provided by 用心棒 in previous posts, so we can continue assisting in getting this resolved?

Are you also able to reset your password, and try to re-sign into your Mail app?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ