cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not change password on secondary emails

cliffclarke
Joining in

this has been ongoing for over 3 weeks. Cannot change the SMTP password on my secondary emails. Was talking to someone on virgin webchat last night for an hour, a chap called Sanjay took me through the process and said he'd changed all the passwords and they would now work...surprise surprise it didnt make a scrap of difference.

USELESS !!!

12 REPLIES 12

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your reference to the SMTP password suggests that you are using a third party email client to access the email account.

VM now operate a dual password setup.  One for webmail access and a different app generated one for use with email clients.  Have you generated an app password for your each of your email accounts?

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management.

The VM help page explaining this is here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cliffclarke,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear your facing difficulty when trying to chage the password on your secondary email account.

Have you followed the advice of our valued member @Graham_A?

Please try his instructions first and pop back to us if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards Jodi. 

cliffclarke
Joining in

hi, it's only possible to change the password on my primary email address and not on my 3 other secondary email addresses.

best regards

Thanks for getting back to us cliffclarke 

For my understanding, are you unable to access your additional email addresses on any platform whatsoever?  Or is it via the 3rd party clients only?

Regards

Lee_R

cliffclarke
Joining in

hi, i can't access them with my chromebook laptop or with my phone. The only email i can access at the moment is my primary email address.

best regards

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @cliffclarke 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issues with your email.

Are you attempting to access the webmail(s) via our website or is this via a 3rd party client such as Outlook for example? 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

cliffclarke
Joining in

from the virgin media website.

best regards

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cliffclarke Looking back through this thread you haven't explained what is stopping you from changing the passwords of the secondary accounts.

In order to do this you need to be signed out of the primary account.  Once you have done so then follow the steps here:

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email.

Recently VM have added a further complication whereby they will ask you to change the email address log in username to a third party email address before allowing a password change.  This third party email address is just used as the username for the VM email address.  It doesn't alter the underlying email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cliffclarke
Joining in

Hi Graham, if i go into 'Manage my other my virgin media accounts, the only option it gives me on my secondary email accounts is to delete