cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not access email

Panov
Tuning in

I have a virgin.net email address that I have had for years since dial up (remember this?).

Yesterday 14/06 I received an email from a hotel I was dealing with that had a menu as an attachment.  I tried to view the attachment but couldn’t.  I tried to download the attachment but couldn’t.  I now cannot access my email via phone app or computer/web.  

I am using a different email account here in case you tried to send me anything which I cannot read.

Please help.

p.s. it is impossible to get any help via phone and this is my last resort.  Very disappointing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Panov,

I can see that some members of the community have offered some advice. Along with this, you can also find some information here on how to manage your email account.

Let us know if there's anything more that we can help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Panov
Tuning in
I have tried all of the online help (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/manage-email-account) without success.
When I tried to speak to someone the automated system asked for my account number (given) then area code (34) which wasn't recognised.
There is nothing online, no person to speak to and no email address to email anyone with my issue.

Panov
Tuning in

I am having similar difficulty.

I have a virgin.net email address that I have had for years since dial up (remember this?).

Yesterday 14/06 I received an email from a hotel I was dealing with that had a menu as an attachment.  I tried to view the attachment but couldn’t.  I tried to download the attachment but couldn’t.  I now cannot access my email via phone app or computer/web.  

If I try to change anything on my account I get this message "Oops, looks like something's gone wrong on our side.  Please try again"

Hi Panov, thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Is the email linked to an active Virgin Media account? If not, we have removed the old style ADSL platform a few years back. People with Virgin.net accounts were given 1 year to back up, migrate any emails etc. Then they would be closed. If your email is not on an active account, then it should have been deleted but a few have slipped the net. We maybe able to assist but I must advise there's no guarantee and if we can't fix it, we'd have to request the formal deletion.

I'll send you a PM now to assist.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

My mum has the Virgin account although I moved from there many years ago.  When the email address was set up it was on dial up and my mum now has Virgin TV and Home Phone but I do not know the account number.  The account number I have is [MOD EDIT: Removed] with area code 34 but like I say, this is many years old.

I don't recall seeing anything talking about deleting the email and backing up and it has been working fine up until yesterday when I had the email attachment.

I don't think there was anything dodgy about the attachment; it was a menu from a hotel I am booking for my mum's 60th Wedding Anniversary next week.

There have been a couple of occasions in the last 12 months when I couldn't access my mailbox but this usually resolved itself within a couple of days.  I just think it very coincidental that this has happened exactly when I tried to view and download the menu.

I do hope you can get me back online as there is stuff in there that I need for a break away to Romania in a couple of weeks!!!

If it helps,

My iPhone App error message reads

Cannot Get Mail

The mail server "imap.virginmedia.com" is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.

Nothing has changed other than that damned attachment.

@Panov can I take it then that neither you nor your Mum have a current VM broadband account? If that is the case then I am afraid that it is likely that the email address and mailbox and all the mail within it has been deleted or has been locked out in anticipation of being deleted.

The issue with the attachment was probably coincidental, it just happened to coincide with the email address being caught up in a periodic cleanup of old ‘orphaned’ accounts.

Hi @Panov

Thanks for your message. As you're not the account holder of the overall account, we cannot proceed further with this.

Please get the account holder to make their own forum account and post, or get them to call us on 150 / 0345 454 1111 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

My mum is 83 years old - what do you think she can do?

I am very disappointed to say the least.  Not what I expect from Virgin at all.

She has virgin TV and phone, that's all - not broadband.

Surely there is something you can do?

Jemma,

Do you work for Virgin?

No, my mum doesn't have a broadband, she is 83 years old.