cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer send emails

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

On the 30th October 2021 I received this security message VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-F009415397. One of my subsidiary email accounts was locked.

I am using Thunderbird as my Email Client. Everything has been working perfectly until the account was locked. I have tried all the recommended measures as specified by Virgin Media (Virus check, change password, etc.). I have even re-installed Thunderbird and created a new account using a fresh password. Nothing works.

Although I can still receive IMAP messages on the the account, SMTP Authentication consistently fails.

It started working for a while, but now SMTP authorisation fails on all my accounts, including the main account. I have a separate gMail account which works perfectly. Something would appear to be wrong with the Virgin Media server. Alternatively, the security checking system is over-reacting and continuously blocking my accounts. Perhaps external hacking is to blame. 

2 REPLIES 2

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @Wyvern2, and thanks for your post.

I'd be happy to take a closer look into this one for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wyvern2 wrote:

"I am using Thunderbird as my Email Client. Everything has been working perfectly until the account was locked. I have tried all the recommended measures as specified by Virgin Media (Virus check, change password, etc.). I have even re-installed Thunderbird and created a new account using a fresh password. Nothing works."

Are you able to access that subsidiary account directly from the VM Website using this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  or are you getting the "Your mailbox is unavailable......." message? I am asking that just to check whether the account is still locked.

"now SMTP authorisation fails on all my accounts,"

So exactly what is the full error message you are seeing? (Edit out your email address if it's given.)

"Although I can still receive IMAP messages on the the account, SMTP Authentication consistently fails..............Something would appear to be wrong with the Virgin Media server. "

All my VM accounts are working fine with no SMTP errors so it would not appear to be due to a server issue.

However, VM have been known to block email being sent from email clients such as Thunderbird if the customer's IP address has been blacklisted. As mentioned earlier posting the full error message you are getting would at least give a clue to that.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks