Menu
Elib11
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can access internet but not email

Hi All. I'm working from home and have no problem accessing the internet on my laptop. However, my Virgin email AND my webmail aren't loading. The Virgin mail is just saying 'Connection error: This service is not available right now' and the wemail just isn't loading at all. BUT I can access both on my smart phone using my internet connection. This has just happened in the last 24 hours and I haven't changed any passwords etc. Any ideas ? I really need to be able to send documents from my laptop and I can't. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can access internet but not email

Try using an email client, like Thunderbird, until the issue it resolved.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DaveUpp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have installed Thunderbird but cannot get it set up - saying 'wrong configuration or....'. Help?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Either post an appropriately redacted screenshot of the error or its text here; take care not to post any personal information on this public forum.

When setting up Thunderbird for the first time a Set Up Existing Email Account dialogue box is shown. After entering your name, email address,  and password selecting continue should result in either a Configuration found at email provider or Configuration found in Mozilla ISP database being shown, see below:
2020-03-19.jpeg
How far beyond this point are you getting?

0 Kudos
DaveUpp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Getting error message on completing the shown fields - as follows - 'Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username or password.

Very busy so only able to check replies intermittently. Grateful for any further advice.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

See if this thread is applicable to your issue Trouble accessing email

0 Kudos
DaveUpp
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will use the text number now but this looks like an initial contact number whereas I have already spoken to 150 and had password reset and cleared history and cookies, etc, etc. Any clues as to why Thunderbird doesn't work for me?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had hoped because your other email client were working Thunderbird would also but it seems the server is not accepting the authentication credentials; even through they are likely valid. Hopefully the re-enabling of your mailbox will resolve all issues.

0 Kudos
DaveUpp
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your responses.

I texted the number on the link at around 8.40. I received first response (after several automated instructions) around 10.45. I was asked a few security questions (that I'd already been asked / answered earlier. Then sent a link and told to enter certain digits of my password. I clicked the link but received a message 'unable to open this form'. I texted this information c.10.55. You are informed 'responses from this service are not immediate' but was slightly concerned at no further contact for over 15 mins, so I texted again at 11.10 to get an immediate, automated, response 'We've gone home for the day - we're here 7am-11pm Mon to Fri and 8 to 8 Sat.....etc!! 

I mean, fair enough, the guy is entitled to go home at the end of his shift, but why answer a call at 10.45 if you're about to go home. OK, it's possible my query might have had a quick solution, but he could have said to me at the start 'I go home at 11.00 but let's see how far we can get'. Or sent a text at 11.00 saying 'sorry' personally, rather than just go home and leave this automated reply mid-conversation.

Customer service.....what customer service!! Sorry for the 'rant', none of this is your fault and I do thank you for trying to help. The end of the last message said '...we'll be back in touch tomorrow', so I wait and hope.

0 Kudos