Menu
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

CONCERN: Scam e-mail sent to 5 identified Ntlworld.com addresses

Has anyone else experienced this or can offer a view? It's new to me and, potentially, it is serious.

Today, I received a scam e-mail, unique in my experience, because it was sent to 5 identified ntlworld.com e-mail addresses, of which one was mine. I find this disturbing:

a     because my address has been shared with 4 other people I do not know

b.    because it suggests a batch of ntlworld.com addresses have been accumulated at one time, possibly from a data breach. It is unlikely that the scammer would have typed in these individual addresses so why choose to send to 5 ntlworld.com addresses if they were in a large batch of all kinds of e-mail addresses?

I have no idea why the scammer decided to show each address rather than send an e-mail with blind copies. Since the scammer clearly did not write or spell English well, maybe it was just ignorance or inexperience.

I tried to forward this e-mail to Virgin's phishing address but it did not show the 5 addresses which was the point of the exercise. In the end, I destroyed it but I do find this new twist a worry.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: CONCERN: Scam e-mail sent to 5 identified Ntlworld.com addresses

Unlikely to be related to a data breach at VM.
Its pretty common. I've seen it loads. Nothing you can do. There is no real say to keep your email address private
0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know I am not alone. Yes, it's true; most of our day-to-day e-mail addresses are now out there and every scammer can access them, presumably at a cost. Nevertheless, I am still curious as to why a scammer would group 5 ntlworld.com addresses together and makes the recipients visible to one another. The e-mail addresses all looked authentic but, obviously, it would be unwise, possibly dangerous, to contact the other 4.

If not a data breach, I suppose stolen e-mail addresses could be accumulated, filtered into the various e-mail providers and sold as packages. I suppose my scammer might be inexperienced or simply starting out with a few addresses to see what happens before casting his/her net more widely. 

I accept that this is not unique but it is the first time it has happened to me so I would still be interested to know from anyone else who has just started to see this happen to them. Meanwhile, I have blacklisted the address so it should not get through, even as junk, in future.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ahrbee wrote:

I accept that this is not unique but it is the first time it has happened to me so I would still be interested to know from anyone else who has just started to see this happen to them. Meanwhile, I have blacklisted the address so it should not get through, even as junk, in future.

By coincidence I received a phishing email to my Gmail account last week where the sender had obviously included all the recipients in the "cc" field rather than the "bcc" field. Like all of us, scammers and spammers make mistakes from time to time. 😉 

The email did not fool me for one second, it was an advice of payment for "computer protection services" by the way, but the fact the same email had gone to about 100 other recipients simply confirmed that it was a scam. However, unlike your example the other recipients email address were  from variety of different email providers.

If your scam email allegedly related to an issue with your Virgin Media Broadband account it would explain why all the recipients addresses were a VM domain. Obviously it would be reasonable to expect that a large proportion of the users of VM email accounts will be VM broadband customers and therefore more likely to be taken in by the scam. In any case, it certainly does not mean that the addresses all came from a data breach at VM.

You can check whether your email address has been part of a data breach here https://haveibeenpwned.com/ or here https://breachchecker.com/ 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

FYI: webmail's blacklist function does not stop delivery of emails to your Inbox from blacklisted senders but on receipt its filter rule moves them from the Inbox folder to the Spam folder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Stuff like this has been common for years.  In the naive olden days of the internets, folk used to happily send emails to random individuals and not think too much about the consequences that their email addresses would be harvested and sold on.   Unfortunately this still goes on; coupled with poor data security and holes in big tech along with nefarious types, it ain't going anywhere soon.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.

My scam e-mail was not about Virgin Media or asking for bank details etc. My scam e-mail was headed Adult Dating so even before I saw the garbled message, it was obviously a scam, trying to lure a crazed recipient on to a rogue site for nefarious reasons. The other 4 ntlworld.com e-mail addresses looked authentic; from the names, 2 male and 2 female it would seem

I thought blacklisting would block e-mails so thank you for putting me right. Most of my scam e-mails arrive in the Junk Box in any case. I tend just to scrub them out but this latest had a new twist. Well, it was new to me.

0 Kudos