Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN NOT ACCESS EMAIL

ALF28
Super solver

19.25 PM 24/06/2022

The email is down again-I get this message-

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Or you may not have an active mail account with us.

If you have an existing Virgin Media mailbox please try changing your password in the first instance as this may unlock the account following a security precaution taken by our email team.

If you’re ready to create your new password, simply head over to My Virgin Media:

• Select Sign In
  • Select Forgotten your email or password? under the password box
  • Follow the instructions to change your password
  • Remember do not use existing or previous passwords. Further help can be found here
  • Check out the Virgin Media Security Hub or our Security Matters community page for further email help & support

Should this fail to unlock the account, please retry signing in again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

Has this helped?

The message has not helped, it does not explain why I can log into my VM account but can not select email, I was  busy udating my old accounts that link to my email but can not get access?

It has been working all day but now gone off.

I will install an email client and try to get into my email.

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good that you have restored access to most accounts.  The instructions do say it can take up to a hour, so 10 minutes is pretty good.

No body at VM is 'messing with your private emails'.

Whilst VM have decided not to provide a free email service to new customers they have said that the free email provision for existing VM broadband customers will continue.

There are many other free email providers out there not just Gmail and MS Outlook, most of which provide a full support system should issues occur.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The implication is that the mailbox has been locked for security reasons.  This does not generally block access to the My Virgin Media account for the email address concerned.

It is not clear from your post if you have followed the instructions to change the password for the account to a new one that you have never used before on the account?

Once changed it can take up to an hour before the mailbox is unlocked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I am Still locked out of my primary and secondary emails, I did the password change as per the instructions.

As I use the email for medical data   I need access to my virgin  emails amd this is also affecing my wife's email also.

Can a forum member please reply ASAP to explain this and unlock my account, or is everyones email down at the moment?

alf28

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have escalated this to the Forum Team so it should go into their priority queue.

Given your well documented issues with your VM email accounts I am surprised that you still use them for important medical data!

It seems to be a bit of a lottery in that I have had very few issues with my VM email accounts over the last 20 years.

I have managed to recover the primary and some secondary emails following password changes.

There is a time delay for the pasword reset to work of about 10 minutes, took most of the evening to sort this.

All emails were locked our except for one. Someone at virgin media has messed with my private emails- not good.

Two secondary emails  for my wife can not be recovered as the security details did not work even though I had them recorded.

I think virgin are trying to end the email service, this has happened to others, they are trying to shut emails down.

I had put an auto forward on all my emails to a gmail but not all are working, and I have removed the most important accounts from virgin email, just a few old ones still to check, I will abandon using virgin email and remove/transfer  some remaining emails to other services, it is not safe to use any more.

I am not happy and as I pay approx £1k per year for this poor service, I may have to review my options

alf28

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good that you have restored access to most accounts.  The instructions do say it can take up to a hour, so 10 minutes is pretty good.

Whilst VM have decided not to provide a free email service to new customers they have said that the free email provision for existing VM broadband customers will continue.

There are many other free email providers out there not just Gmail and MS Outlook, most of which provide a full support system should issues occur.

Why do the passwords stop working for 7 virgin emails ?-what is the cause of all my emails being suddenly not accessible and 2 emails can not be recovered but were not used much by my wife specifically, strange how her emails are not recoverable, I will try again tomorrow, one was in use just recently so none of the email has been inactive for 90  days.

One reason may be that 3 emails had 16 digit passwords, these are now back to 10 digits.

I do also use gmail, outlook etc now and take your advice to use other email services, it was just convenient to use the VM email which was a good service for 20 years. and I had many contacts/accounts over such a long period, some I moved today.

Some senders are blocked now by virgin, so the email is no longer totally reliable, I could not send to my own virgin email recently.

I have read advice in some postings to use third party emails as general good advice, most free ones have "no support" at all, but it is rare to have problems but I have had a few issues but managed to sort them, the unusual one was someone else  using my gmail address or having to reset a pasword, often happens for unknown reasons.

alf28

Hi @ALF28

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the email issue. I shall send you a PM now.

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @ALF28

Thanks for joining me on PM and glad to hear it's all sorted. Apologies again for the issue. If the system detects anything untoward we do take steps to prevent this but I do understand the frustration caused.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

CAN NOT ACCESS EMAIL AGAIN SECONDARY ACCOUNTS

Just happened again tonight, 

Why have most of my secondary emails  (6 off) have been locked out again this evening, I have just one that can log in, the password works for the accounts but the mailboxes are  not available-locked- I can not go on changing passwords every day- this is madness.

The secondary emails  were working earlier, but the lockout seems to occur for absolutely no reason??

I checked one email after unlocking and the last email was 2 days ago so no activity.

i can only presume that they do not like anyone having more than one secondary account as they always just leave one working, but I have also had my primary email locked out as well yesterday, there must be  something wrong here with my account???, are they trying to close my email down with the constant noticed to change my password- what is going on here, I could do with an answer to this issue.

I recently set up autoforwards from my virgin emails to my main gmail.com email account that I now use, could that be the reason for my password issues?

Are virgin trying to close down secondary accounts, and would it be wise to empty the emails and delete the secondary accounts if they are not  available on a regular basis.

The emails can only be unlocked with a password change which does work and the gives access to the email.

Notice that appears-

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Or you may not have an active mail account with us.

If you have an existing Virgin Media mailbox please try changing your password in the first instance as this may unlock the account following a security precaution taken by our email team.

If you’re ready to create your new password, simply head over to My Virgin Media:

• Select Sign In
  • Select Forgotten your email or password? under the password box
  • Follow the instructions to change your password
  • Remember do not use existing or previous passwords. Further help can be found here
  • Check out the Virgin Media Security Hub or our Security Matters community page for further email help & support

Should this fail to unlock the account, please retry signing in again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

Has this helped?--------------------yes but keeps happening every day now!!

------------------------------------------------

I see from the posts others are also getting locked out of their emails or in some cases hacked which is not suprising since virgin have revererted (rolled back) to a 10 digit password after introducing the 64 digit  password for a few days.

If the system detects anything untoward we do take steps to prevent this but I do understand the frustration caused.

As my virgin email has worked for 20 years and I have never had such unusual problems before affecting my emails, so what is going on with virgin email, and if it can not be accessed without constant hassle, then should I clean out my emails and delete them all, except for the primary ntlworld.com attached to the account which can not be deleted.

Anyone else got this problem, many people still do  use virgin  email so it should be a good service, mine is becoming unusable for some unknown reasons?

alf28