Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Broken link between my Outlook and Virginmedia mail accounts

I have had many years of success with running Outlook/Virgin(and prior to that Cable-Wireless, ntlworld etc) as my email platform.

However, suddenly (with no changes done on any of the (2) desktops) the Outlook-Virginmedia link is broken. Since two days ago, all problems describing here apply to both desktops (Windows 10).

1) Outlook repeats displaying small window message "Enter your user name and password for the following server" (smtp.virginmedia.com). The passwords have NOT been changed

2) Virginmedia help pages say - it may be time to change your password. So I changed passwords for all my Virginmedia accounts.

3) I tested ALL Virginmedia email accounts with the new passwords as Webmails via three different browsers (Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer). Can login and manage my mails.

4) Then tried to from Outlook (of course, by changing all passwords each time) but the small window prompting to re-enter the password happens on both desktops and for all email accounts. I am unable to connect Outlook with Virginmedia mail.

5) Then I removed all accounts from both Outlooks (restarted etc) and started to add as "New" my email accounts:

5a) first automatically (Outlook chooses settings)

5b) manually as POP (following exactly Virginmedia instructions)

5c) manually as IMAP (following exactly Virginmedia instructions)

Each time I was unable to set up the accounts. Now I have no current Outlook working link with Virginmedia mail accounts. Very worrying indeed.

6) I then uninstalled the COMPLETE MS Office suites from both machines and re-installed.

7) Fresh Outlook does NOT link to Virginmedia with the manually set up settings as directed from Virginmedia.

This is very urgent - having a detrimental kick to both personal and business day to day activities.

Does anyone have any suggestions (above and beyond what I have already tried above, please)? I can see that the Internet is flooded with things like this one (repeating window prompting for the repetition of the same and valid password) but none so far (48 hours of my tome searching) say/suggest anything more than I did above. Is is possible that Virginmedia setting instructions are OUT OF DATE? (for example ... ports 993 (incoming) and 465 (outgoing) ... etc etc)

I have also raised a problem with Virginmedia but I was told that they will call me back 3-5 working days from today. Until then I wonder whether anyone here can beat them to it! 🙂

Goran (Gogi)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broken link between my Outlook and Virginmedia mail accounts

@Gogi wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions (above and beyond what I have already tried above, please)? I can see that the Internet is flooded with things like this one (repeating window prompting for the repetition of the same and valid password) but none so far (48 hours of my tome searching) say/suggest anything more than I did above. Is is possible that Virginmedia setting instructions are OUT OF DATE? (for example ... ports 993 (incoming) and 465 (outgoing) ... etc etc)

I have also raised a problem with Virginmedia but I was told that they will call me back 3-5 working days from today. Until then I wonder whether anyone here can beat them to it!

You have certainly tried everything to resolve the problem except what would really have helped get to the bottom of what is going on. 😮

Just to explain what you are seeing:

The message  "Outlook repeats displaying small window message "Enter your user name and password for the following server"(smtp.virginmedia.com)" indicates that the basic cause of the problem is that your outgoing emails are failing to be authenticated by the VM Outgoing (SMTP) server.

However, it does not necessarily have anything to do with your password or your username. Also, I can confirm that you are using the correct port (465) so it is not a problem with the ports either.

In order to identify the reason authentication is failing you need to find the VM error code that the server is reporting back to Outlook. Sadly Outlook does not display those error codes but simply defaults to the unhelpful message you are seeing.

The error code you need to give us will be in the format VMnnn and there will also be a brief textual explanation.

To access that code you need to follow the instructions from the top email expert on this forum, Ravenstar68 in this post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237... 

Read the "Introduction" and "Warning" sections but the key instructions are in the "Microsoft Outlook" sections.

Come back with that VM error code and you will get some practical advice on how to resolve it.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"VM305"

Thank you indeed. It does feel like a sensible course of action.

Since I removed the Virgin Media accounts from Outlook - the error code was not in OPMLog.log (could not send a message, of course) but I found in in a different .txt file relating to my failed attempt to connect.

The complete line has other numbers (marked here with "x"). Do you need them also in order to be able to assist me?

"2020.08.14 05:54:35 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> xxx x.x.xx Authentication Denied (VM305)"

Cannot wait to hear more - thank you again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

With the error your are getting VM305 that is caused by something on your internal network sending SPAM by a spambot, you external IP address has been listed on https://www.spamhaus.org/query on their SBL list. This system is what VM use to protect their email servers.

What you going to need to do is too follow this post to find and destroy the Spambot - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40....

Once removed spamhaus system will automatically remove you have the list and your email will work again.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wow!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In addition to finding the code VM305 on my desktop B,
I have just run the Outlook Logging on the desktop A.

That logs (when trying to re-connect Outlook with Virgin Media accounts):
"IMAP: 08:05:27 [db] ERROR: "The host 'imap.virginmedia.com' cannot be found. Verify that the server name is typed correctly.", hr=x...x

Again, "x...x" is a set of 10 digits. Not sure if of use?

Meanwhile I am continuing to browse about how to destroy the Spam bots ... true Sherlock type of work 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Gogi wrote:
I have just run the Outlook Logging on the desktop A.
That logs (when trying to re-connect Outlook with Virgin Media accounts):
"IMAP: 08:05:27 [db] ERROR: "The host 'imap.virginmedia.com' cannot be found. Verify that the server name is typed correctly.", hr=x...x

That sounds more like a settings problem. Just to clarify, the recommended settings are:

Virginmedia.com (Virgin Media Mail) IMAP Serverimap.virginmedia.com
IMAP port993
IMAP securitySSL / TLS
IMAP usernameYour full email address
IMAP passwordYour Virginmedia.com password

Virginmedia.com (Virgin Media Mail) SMTP Serversmtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP port465
SMTP securitySSL / TLS
SMTP usernameYour full email address
SMTP passwordYour Virginmedia.com password

Coenoby

Edited to add - Once you have that second laptop up and running it too will come up with the VM305 error. Any VM emails coming from any device using your VM network will be affected. So, for example if you used an email app on your phone to send an email it would fail if you were using your VM wifi but send successfully  if you were using your mobile network.

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh ... and ... thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike.

MONITORING THE PACKET TRAFFIC: I followed the steps and sniffed and sniffed. The whole network and all of dozen or so gadgets. No SPAMBot was found.

VM CUSTOMER SERVICE: I am struggling to get VM to assist in identifying the problem but the outgoing server is now inconsistently blocking my outgoing emails. Most of the time it works fine (not acceptable). Over the last week Outlook asked me to enter the server credentials (only) twice.

SPAMHAUS PROJECT: (My) VM Public IP address is still listed here. This is odd but this must explain the (although occasional) problem reccurance. Because this is VM (my ISP provider)'s Public IP address - I can NOT get it removed from the list myself.

VPN: I will only proceed with this AFTER the problem gets fixed.

Still ... HELP please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With regard to the Spamhaus site, which of the lists is your IP on? If it is just the PBL (policy blocklist) then that's normal, every VM residential customer should be on that one. If it's any other others then that's a cause for concern.