Menu
sneezo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Broadband OK but no emails

Both my partner and I have noticed the flow of emails has virtually dried up.  We both subscribe to various sites and get daily emails but have not received these since about 21st Dec.  Broadband is OK and outgoing emails appear to be sent OK.  Very occasional emails (maybe one per day) are getting through but we both know of specific emails from friends, family and work colleagues that have simply not shown up. This applies to both webmail and mail browsers.  Is anything more general happening?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband OK but no emails

Sign into webmail, select ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > Filter Rules and review the list of filter rules. Should you find any unexpected rules then consider following  the advice here, Compromised Email Account advice

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sneezo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Good tip - thanks. Fortunately, there were no malicious rules there.  So, unfortunately, there still seems to be a backlog of emails somewhere.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are any of the senders receiving notifications of a delay?

0 Kudos
sneezo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

None that we're aware of.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@sneezo wrote:

Fortunately, there were no malicious rules there.  So, unfortunately, there still seems to be a backlog of emails somewhere.

I may be grasping at straws here but does your comment "there were no malicious rules there" perhaps imply that there are filter rules there that you or your partner have set yourselves? Perhaps to deal with specific types of spam that get through Virgin Media's spam  filters for instance?

If you do have any filter rules set it would be a good idea to try disabling them for the moment to test whether your emails start flowing again. The filter rules can be tricky things and they sometimes have unexpected side effects.

The other thing I would check is that the "Spam Settings" in  your Webmail accounts are not set to "Reject All SPAM messages". The default is normally "Move message to Spam folder" by the way,

Sign into webmail, select ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > Spam Settings

If neither of those suggestions work I am not sure what else to suggest.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sneezo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

No rules or filters at all, and nothing going to spam.

Seven hours online to first and second level support yesterday, with the only outcome to call 150 and hope for third level support that way.  Disappointing.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@sneezo wrote:

nothing going to spam.

Ok, but If your Spam Settings are set to "Reject all SPAM messages" nothing would be going into your Spam folder because they would all be rejected and you would never see them.

Have you actually checked  your Spam Settings as I suggested?

"check is that the "Spam Settings" in  your Webmail accounts are not set to "Reject All SPAM messages". The default is normally "Move message to Spam folder" by the way,

Sign into webmail, select ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > Spam Settings"

Coenoby

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sneezo
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes, checked, and I have the default setting "Move message to Spam folder".

Note also that emails directly from Virgin (advertising, bills, notification from this site, etc.) are arriving, but several hundred emails are missing, and will need to be recovered.

One of the team at Virgin reset the account yesterday, but this does not appear to have had any effect (at least so far).

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Sneezo.

Are the emails attached to an active Virgin Media account? 

What do you mean by the team reset the account? 

Let us know, Emily.