Menu
Deka
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Bluyonder email and Windows 10

Hi, I've just bought a new PC running Windows 10. My old machine was running Win 7 and using Windows Live email.

Win 10 has a Mail app it appears. I have moved my Yahoo account over with no problem, all my current folders came with it. My contacts also came over but are now in an app called People.??

Not so our Blueyonder email accounts. I've set up the emails and both (my Wife's and mine) are sending and receiving ok but no folders or contact details have come over. Not having the contacts available is a major problem, and losing the folder contents is a nuisance.

I have copied the contact details (.csv I believe) but neither Mail or People on win10 appear to give the facility to import. I have searched the net and it appears transferring these details "Is a Problem" Quote!!!

There are comments about Outlook accepting transferred details but we don't use Outlook and have no intention, or need, to use it.

I can't be the only Virgin email user who has had to move away from unsupported Win7. to the awful Win 10 system.

Any help and advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bluyonder email and Windows 10

The thing about the People App is that it only uses online contact storage rather than a local contact store.

While it does give you the ability to add a single contact to an online address book, adding a CSV file via People is not possible.  However it can be done provided the mail provider you are using supports it.

Sadly checking mail.yahoo.com would appear to indicate that the ability to upload a CSV file has been removed.  However if you have set up a Microsoft Account you can upload the CSV file at https://outlook.live.com/people

Provided the account has been added to the People App then the contacts will be pulled in next time the address book is synchronised.

Alternatively there are other address book apps available that provide both the ability to pull in existing contacts from the People App and also import a CSV file.  You can check the Microsoft Store

Finally - you are not limited to Mail for your emails.  You can download the email client of your choice.  Thunderbird has it's own address book for example and can easily be set up with Virgin Media accounts as Virgin Media have set up the Auto Configuration file.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ensure you using imap.virginmedia.com:993:1 & that contacts is enabled.
The other option is to use Windows Live Mail on the Win 10 pc, even though it’s no longer supported it does still work, then all you have to do is run it to set up the Live Mail folder then copy & paste the old folder from the Win 7 pc to the same place on win 10. This will bring over all, accounts, contacts etc.

UK: http://web.archive.org/web/20160423192125/http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/1/9/4/194B1919-...

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Anankha 

Remember IMAP itself doesn't handle contacts, only mail.

The Yahoo and Icloud setup automatically adds CalDav (Calendar) and CardDav (contact) server url information to the accounts, in addition to the IMAP server info.

Thus there is no option to Sync contacts and Calendars when setting up a Virgin Media email address in the Windows 10 Mail App  Even if VM did actually publish CalDav and CardDav URL's (which is IMHO unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever).

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 

Thanks, I hardly use the Win 10 Mail app as it’s so basic.

Deka
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information.

I'm not very computer literate and am loath to install odd programs and set up different applications, especially on Win 10 which

seems to have a mind of its own and does things I don't require, or ask for!!!

I would have rather stayed with Win 7 which I found easy and straight forward to use. But the lack of support

and the threats of hacking pushed me into going to Win 10.

We still have the old PC so I can access the email info. if required. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos