Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder mail unavailable

Am I alone?   I've been unable to access my blueyonder mailbox for 3 weeks ("Your mailbox is unavailable at the moment").  Over the 3 weeks I've made numerous calls to the service desk and received numerous "responses" all of which involve telling me to wait for 12/24/48 hours before trying again.  Progressively over the 3 weeks I've been told that the problem is a server fault which will be fixed by tomorrow morning. THEN I was told (probably truthfully) that the desk agent had tried all she could (including resetting passwords) and couldn't do any more but she was passing it on the 2nd-line support who would call me back after they had investigated..I didn't get a call-back. THEN I was told that there was no "recorded" problem but that the agent had taken another call with exactly the same symptoms within the last hour - he spoke to 2nd-line support who now confirmed that this was a problem (I already knew that) with a forecast fix time of 0800 the following morning. It wasn't fixed and on my next call the agent didn't seem to have access to the foregoing call history, but after some investigation he told me that the problem was continuing to be worked on with a forecast fix time of 0800 the following morning - he also told me that many users were affected by this. I couldn't see any reference to this on the "Service Availability" section of the website.

I then went on holiday for a week and tried without success to access the mailbox.

On return I called again and this time the agent couldn't find my mailbox on the Virgin system. She referred this to 2nd-line support who found that some part of the registration of my mailbox was missing (no-one had seen this issue before) and that they had corrected this, concluding that "my" problem wasn't the "general" problem and was now fixed - albeit I would have to wait 48 hours for the changes to be made effective. The agent promised to call me at a pre-arranged time to confirm that all was ok and resolve any issues then.  She didn't call me and I was still without my mailbox.

I called again and was informed that "the" problem hadn't been fixed and there were still many users affected. This agent professed to have no knowledge of the "registration" issue I'd been told about 2 days previously and confirmed that "my" problem was, indeed, "the" problem. I was told that there was no need to call again - I would be informed by text when the problem was fixed.

A week passed with no text message - I called again today and was told that the problem was fixed yesterday - no explanation as to the missing text message. I still couldn't access mail so I was told to change my password and wait an hour and I'd be ok.  I wasn't ok.... I called again to be told that the problem hadn't been fixed - there was no explanation as to why I'd been told that it was fixed yesterday only 90 minutes previously, but to wait 24 hours and try again and if the problem persisted I could speak to a supervisor.  I asked to speak to a supervisor now and did so after a 15 minute wait. Unsurprisingly (given the foregoing handling of my calls) this conversation wasn't very enlightening, although he has assured me that the problem WILL be fixed in the next 24 hours (how he knows this, I don't know!) and he gave me his name so that I can speak to him if there is no fix... I can only assume that he's not working tomorrow!!

As I asked at the outset, am I the only person who is suffering this?

As a first-time poster on this forum I don't know whether it is monitored by Virgin staff - if so can anyone provide any information as to what the hell is going on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder mail unavailable

No  you are not alone. I have had no Blueyonder emails since 13th June and Virgin Media don't seem bothered to be frank. I've spent hours on the phone and been told bare faced lies and untruths along the way and am now told they are still trying to resolve the issue ASAP....after 3 weeks! It's just not good enough is it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@nomail1 

I’ve flagged this for escalation. Pending that, some further background information would be useful.

1. Do you have a current (payable monthly) Broadband account?

2. Your BY address presumably dates back to Telewest days. Have you had a continuous Broadband service since those days? OR, have you moved house and/or had a break period between an old contract and a new one?

3. Is the BY address your only VM address? You don’t have any ….@virginmedia.com addresses?

4. Have you recently looked at your account data in My Virgin Media?

Click My Virgin Media – top line of VM Homepage,

then – My Profile (or your Username and password first if asked, then My Profile)

Note that Username is usually the same as your email address – but, confusingly, it can be different if you have specified an alternative at some time in the past.

5. Does My Profile show your BY address under Virgin Media Mail at the bottom of the page – and maybe an old alias of your BY address as well?

The reason for the above questions is this -

agent couldn't find my mailbox on the Virgin system”.

If your BY address is/was not correctly connected to a current Broadband account it could be in the process of being deleted as part of a periodic scan for Orphan addresses.

@ModTeam  

Can you take a close look at this one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Answers......

I’ve flagged this for escalation. Pending that, some further background information would be useful.

1. Do you have a current (payable monthly) Broadband account?         YES

2. Your BY address presumably dates back to Telewest days. Have you had a continuous Broadband service since those days? OR, have you moved house and/or had a break period between an old contract and a new one?     YES I'VE HAD A CONTINUOUS SERVICE - NO BREAKS

3. Is the BY address your only VM address? You don’t have any ….@virginmedia.com addresses?    THERE IS A VIRGIN MEDIA.COM ADDRESS THAT ISN'T USED

4. Have you recently looked at your account data in My Virgin Media?   

Click My Virgin Media – top line of VM Homepage,

then – My Profile (or your Username and password first if asked, then My Profile)

Note that Username is usually the same as your email address – but, confusingly, it can be different if you have specified an alternative at some time in the past.   USERNAME = MAIL ADDRESS

5. Does My Profile show your BY address under Virgin Media Mail at the bottom of the page – and maybe an old alias of your BY address as well?   YES - AS ALTERNATIVE EMAIL ADDRESSES BOTH BLUEYONDER ADDRESS & ALIAS ADDRESS....  BUT THESE WERE NOT THERE LAST WEEK!!!!!!!! 

The reason for the above questions is this -

agent couldn't find my mailbox on the Virgin system”.   THIS IS NOT THE ERROR MESSAGE I'M GETTING

If your BY address is/was not correctly connected to a current Broadband account it could be in the process of being deleted as part of a periodic scan for Orphan addresses.    PERHAPS THIS IS/WAS THE "REGISTRATION ISSUE" THAT I WAS TOLD ABOUT 10 DAYS AGO 

I'm grateful to see that someone is asking what appear to be relevant questions about my mailbox & setup....  it begs the question as to why I've had so many interactions with the Service Desk with so many apparently useless/uninformed responses!!

@ModTeam  

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am no fan of Call Centres (all of them, and not just VM’s). The first thing new staff appear to learn is how to shut down a call (usually by promising it will be fixed -soon). Their efficiency measure is calls closed, not problems solved.

The additional information is useful thanks. It at least eliminates a few blind alleys. I’ve asked the Moderators to progress this but as it’s the weekend, it may be the beginning of the week before we see any sensible response.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B 

@nomail1 and @NickyBB have two separate issues going on here.  Nicky's were originally raised quite some time ago and to be quite frank, I am flabbergasted that that particular problem is going on.

I think it's time that IT and the Forum Team consulted in as close to real time as possible in order to get that particular problem resolved.  No disrespect intended to @Gareth_L here, but I do think your team need to learn when it's OK to accept a five day turnaraound time on an escalation, and when it's time to work more closely to get an issue looked at properly.  Personally I'm missing Jen_A and Nicola_C here, as their expertise in dealing with these matters was very welcome.  (I know we can't have them back but the loss of expert staff is one of the main reasons I did not want Swansea to close).

@nomail1 Because you are getting mailbox unavailable, I would suggest that this is indeed a known problem.  However the Forum Team do have a process in place for dealing with situations such as yours, expect to be messaged by the @ModTeam - so that they can capture the information that they need here.

Note: In many cases the Mod team have been able to get the matters sorted on the same day, but being that this is a weekend, I would expect this to be looked at properly on Monday at the earliest (I do hope I'm wrong though).

Apart from that @BillC45 has asked some excellent questions and your answers would suggest that this is unlikely to be an Orphan account issue.  Note: VM have been locking accounts in some cases and the Mailbox Unavailable message is usually symptomatic of that,

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My blueyonder mailbox has reappeared this evening after 25 days off the air.   I've had no explanation so I don't know what the problem was, how it was fixed, and who fixed it.  If it was someone associated with this (and other) email threads then thank you.