cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder emails cannot be sent - password invalid

Lolu17
Tuning in

HI, 

I have an old blueyonder email address that up until tonight was working fine.

Despite my SMTP setting being set as advised on previous guidance, I am now being advised that my original password for my blue yonder emails in not valid.  It is correct and I have not changed it, however it will now longer accept it.  

Please help!

15 REPLIES 15

crany
Superfast
do you still have a current virgin media broadband contract and account?

Hi,

Yes still have current services provided by Virgin, including the broadband and superhub.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -sv smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi Lolu17,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry that you're unable to access your Blueyonder emails as it is no longer recognising your password to access these. Can we ask if you are getting any error message, for example "Mailbox unavailable"? If so, this community post here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema... may help.

If you do you still require assistance please come back to us.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi sorry for the delayed response.  No it’s advising me that “please enter a valid email address for this account”

Thanks for coming back to us @Lolu17, can you please confirm if you're the account holder for the Virgin Media subscription?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lolu17 wrote:

it’s advising me that “please enter a valid email address for this account”

Apologies to @David_Bn for butting in here but that error message rang a bell for me,

It's been reported several times when people try to update their email password in the iOS Mail app. For an example, see this thread on the Apple Community site https://discussions.apple.com/thread It's been reported with lots of different email providers

The advice given always seems to be to delete the account from your mail app and then set it up again. (Note that does not mean deleting your Blueyonder email address itself from VM's system, just delete the account from the app on your iPhone or whatever device you are using.

If the change of password problem is not what gave rise to your problem but you are seeing this error on your iPhone then there needs to be a bit more trouble shooting done. Email apps give very generic error messages and often just default to a suggesting a password issue.

A good first step would be to try signing into to you Blueyonder account directly via the VM website. Enter your Blueyonder address and password here https://mail2.virginmedia.com 

If you can sign in ok from there it will prove the problem is definitely  with the email app on your phone.

However, if you get an error from the VM website it will show there is a problem with your Blueyonder account and the error message should enable the Forum Team or forum members to identify what needs to be done to cure it.

I hope that all makes sense. 😕

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Again sorry for the delayed response, I have been trying to update my new email address to my important accounts as I still have no access to my blue yonder emails.

In response to you comments, this may sound really stupid but what part of the message shows the error message, very hesitate to post the outcome as not sure which bits need to be redacted. 

Thanks, 

Hi Yes, I am the account holder