Menu
louij2
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email unable to send

Hi

The email has been working no problem for years. This morning emails where received successfully, however today when we are trying to send an email the error "The username or password is incorrect" I have changed the password and tried again, it verifies the login details and saves the account to the email client, however when sending the error appears again.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email unable to send

A couple of questions

a) I take it you are a current VM broadband customer - may seem like a really stupid thing to ask, but you'd be surprised how often this crops up.

b) If you try the web interface for VM mail (https://mail2.virginmedia.com ) and log in using what you believe are the right username and password, can you actually log in and if so successfully send and receive messages using this system? Yes I know it's a virginmedia address but it works for the legacy blueyonder and ntlworld email domains as well.

c) And finally, if you are having this issue on a phone, can you try switching off wifi so it connects only over the data network? Alternatively if it's a wifi only tablet or laptop, is there any way you can (temporarily) connect it to a different wifi network and see if that works.

Does sound like some odd things to ask but the 'incorrect username and password' message can have many different reasons, and generally nothing to do with username and passwords after all. 

0 Kudos
louij2
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

a) Yes
b) web mail does work
c)I tried data/wifi and the same result
Yesterday this problem only occurred on one email account but now all of our (three) blueyonder accounts receive the same message when sending from mail for iOS/iPhone
0 Kudos
louij2
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

E9BB09D8-7C88-46B2-A49B-E387B99C7AC0.jpeg

 one account gets this now

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi louij2

Thanks for coming back to us and apologies for the email issues. 

Please see this link which will help

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
louij2
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have followed that and still get the same problem. The email address section to change password has moved from My Apps to under account management on the site. Would you be able to verify that they are not performing work on the email service?
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@louij2 wrote:

E9BB09D8-7C88-46B2-A49B-E387B99C7AC0.jpeg

Your image of the error message gives a strong hint. For several years now Virgin Media have been advising people to stop using the old legacy blueyonder.co.uk and ntlword.co.uk servers and switch to the virginmedia.com servers. You keep the old email address and password.

BTW if the email servers were down this forum would be red hot with posts about it so you can safely assume they are working 😉

Here are the correct settings for you to update the settings in your email app:

IMAP4 Settings 

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL                

Enabled

IMAP4 port                 

IMAP4 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP4 username        

Full email address, for example, richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

POP3 Settings

POP3 server name    

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port                 

POP3 authentication

POP3 username        

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

SMTP Settings

SMTP server name    

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port                 

SMTP authentication

SMTP username        

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos