Menu
gavinh
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email - unable to retrieve via imap for several days

Ok guys what have you done to break Blueyonder logins? My wife’s @blueyonder.co.uk account ha been failing to retrieve email for several days now, with invalid username/password error. We know for sure the password hasn’t been changed! Anyway, we’ve changed it now and can confirm that we can login to webmail to view email, but no matter what we try we can’t get the Mail app on her iPhone to retrieve email. It constantly states imap.virginmedia.com is failing to respond. 

The settings for imap retrieval are correct, imap.virginmedia.com SSL login, port 993, using her full email address and password for authentication.

Hopefully somebody can confirm there is a system wide issue and look to address it. I have given up trying to speak to somebody on the customer support portal, using sms text messages is just painful and ineffective.

0 Kudos
gavinh
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email - unable to retrieve via imap for several days

Ok typical, minutes after posting about the problem I’ve fixed the issue that we were experiencing. I deleted the account on the iPhone and then re-added and hey presto imap started working again, even though we were using the correct details!

Something strange going on!

MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I am glad you posted back with your solution.  - iPhones seem to prefer deleting and recreating, rather than changing.  Your post is sure to help others who read this forum.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gavinh
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well, this is strange as I received a letter today from VirginMedia telling me that my wife's account had some strange activity on 25th April and that the email account has been locked. That explains why she couldn't log in.   The letter then went on to instruct me to change the password and not re-use passwords etc etc  Oh and that this security breach had nothing to do with Virgin Media!

Now, this is where it is funny, my wife doesn't reuse passwords. The VirginMedia password is unique, so how could anybody have used the password without having access to internal VM username/passwords?  It is a combination of letters and numbers, so not easily guessed/bruteforced, but I guess this isn't possibility isn't out of the equation. But still, all seems a little iffy to me.

0 Kudos