cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email stopped downloading

barrygray4
Joining in

Ok,

Long time VM customer and I still am for avoidance of doubt. 

On 4th May my Outlook client started asking for a password to get my emails and wouldn't allow me to log in. I tried the webmail client and it wasn't letting me log in either despite already being logged in to my account page first.

Called Tech support and they said that my mail account had been locked. The guy put a temp password on my account and I reset it and have access to my webmail.

Despite updating my password on Outlook (Windows and Android versions) I still cannot access my mail on my computer or phone.

Today I have backed up my email files and deleted my account from Outlook to add a fresh account in case outlook had an issue but this is failing too despite using the recommended settings via the automatic method and using the advanced setup to insert the IMAP/SMTP details.

What is going on?? I have seen a number of posts with a similar issue so I am not an isolated incident.

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@barrygray4 VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did try and use the app password but that wasn't playing either.

barrygray4
Joining in

I've also done a manual setup

Virginmedia.com (Virgin Media Mail) IMAP Serverimap.virginmedia.com
IMAP port993
IMAP securitySSL / TLS
IMAP usernameYour full email address
IMAP passwordYour Virginmedia.com password

Virginmedia.com (Virgin Media Mail) SMTP Serversmtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP port465
SMTP securitySSL / TLS
SMTP usernameYour full email address
SMTP passwordYour Virginmedia.com password

barrygray4
Joining in

Done the manual setup using the app password too.

barrygray4
Joining in

Getting a message from outlook saying "The connection to the incoming (IMAP) server was dropped. Please check incoming (IMAP) server settings and try again"

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It might be worth turning on Email logging in Outlook to see what VM error messages are being reported.

There are instructions as to how to do this here: Outgoing Authentication Issues? - Check Email Logs - Virgin Media Community - 3237150  They were written to track outgoing authentication issues but should track all authentication issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks