cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email not sending

videodoctor
Tuning in

For the last few days my blueyonder smtp sending emails has not been working.My wifes blueyonder email sending is also not working on a different device.

We can both receive emails via pop3 but trying to send fails.

Both our emails work perfectly on webmail where we can both send and receive them.

The issue seems to be with the smtp side of things.

I have changed my password as suggested in this forum but the sending of emails is still not working.

Everything was working fine a few days ago and no settings on any devices have been changed.

I have read on this forum that there was issues a few years ago with smtp and they got it resolved within a week.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

videodoctor
Tuning in

Ok so I have managed to fix this myself.

Its all down to port 25 which is used by spammers to send email.One of my email clients had been set(probably a long time ago) to receive smtp email on port 25.

This had got me blacklisted on SPAMHAUS.ORG which somehow VM use for checking to see if it's spam.

The way around this is to go to https://check.spamhaus.org/ and follow the instructions on removing your address from their database.Once you have clicked the confirmation email then your ip address is removed from the blacklist and the emails will start coming in again.

Its best to check that no other email clients(on any devices) are set to port 25 and also run antivirus scans to make sure your not infected with anything nasty.

You can also use the online scanner from ESET which can be found here  https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

I hope this helps people because it was very annoying and I think that this blocking ip addresses should be more advertised and a sticky made on this site from the admins to help other people in this situation.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

videodoctor
Tuning in

My smtp settings are as follows

smtp server:-  smtp.virginmedia.com

Security SSL/TLS

Port:- 465

Username and password filled in correctly.

I think it's a problem at virginmedia since 2 devices with 2 different email account have ceased to send emails on the same day and still both do not work sending. We can still receive emails.

Any help would be most appreciated.

videodoctor
Tuning in

Ok so I have managed to fix this myself.

Its all down to port 25 which is used by spammers to send email.One of my email clients had been set(probably a long time ago) to receive smtp email on port 25.

This had got me blacklisted on SPAMHAUS.ORG which somehow VM use for checking to see if it's spam.

The way around this is to go to https://check.spamhaus.org/ and follow the instructions on removing your address from their database.Once you have clicked the confirmation email then your ip address is removed from the blacklist and the emails will start coming in again.

Its best to check that no other email clients(on any devices) are set to port 25 and also run antivirus scans to make sure your not infected with anything nasty.

You can also use the online scanner from ESET which can be found here  https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

I hope this helps people because it was very annoying and I think that this blocking ip addresses should be more advertised and a sticky made on this site from the admins to help other people in this situation.

Hi videodoctor, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you were having an issue with your emails not sending. 

I'd also like to say thanks for keeping the thread updated. 

If you have any further issues, please pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi
We have followed this but still unable to send emails from either of our accounts?
We have received emails OK we can only send emails via my husbands phone - even tried work computers these do not work either?

Tried calling help line but no response either from there so not sure what to try next?
thanks
Kate

Hi Kate, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue sending emails from some devices. Based on what you've said it sounds as though the mails are sending on some occasions and not on others. 

Can you try sending the mail from the accounts through webmail directly. If the mails do not send can you come back and let us know the exact error message and code that you get? 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath

we use webmail to access emails.

we had a break through yesterday my husbands email is the 2nd email on the account and we managed to get into his email and change the password and email works for him now.

my email address is the main account and we are unable to log in to this and change it in the same place can you tell me where we go to change the main accounts email please?

thanks

Kate

Hello katehowes,

Thanks for your reply,

Great news about the 2nd email account. 

If you log into your online account and go to Settings then manage accounts, That will allow you to change the main email account.

Any issues let me know.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth

Thanks we found that but unfortunately i can still not send emails from my phone or directly from the Virgin email. Still says it is blocked which is a little frustrating considering my husbands account is not?

thanks

Kate

Thanks for getting back to us Kate,

So I can take a closer look at this for you I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm