Menu
irn-bru
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email just stopped working

My wife's blueyonder email has just stopped working She can receive but not send. She was using older settings e.g. smtp.blueyonder.co.uk and pop.blueyonder.co.uk. I know what the new settings should be BUT she has forgotten her password as it was embedded into Outlook for years. The login through Outlook did not require a full email address as the username.

I was able to log into Virgin Media using a "secondary account" and access webmail. My wife's emails were present. In old money this used to be an alias account before the move to external provider and then back again. However, her email address does not appear at the bottom of the "My Profile" page.

I have tried resetting the password of my wife's email using online route but I get "Unable to find your username".

Can someone please PM me so I can pass on account details/email addresses and the like so I can get this sorted asap?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email just stopped working

Hi irn-bru,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Before we can advise further, can I confirm the following;

• Is the email account in question, currently in service with an active Virgin Media account
  • Also if it is, are you the account holder or your Wife? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If your wife's email is an alias then it will actually share the same password as the main address, as an alias is part of the same mailbox rather than a true individual address.

It might also help if you start a logging instance in Outlook so we can see what the error message is that the server returns, as not all errors are down to the wrong password.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Follow the guidance in my post above.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

irn-bru
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,
Yes - the email account in question, currently in service with an active Virgin Media account and the account is in my wife's name.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi irn-bru, 

Thanks for messaging us today. 

Please can you get the account holder to contact us as we will be able to cancel the email address.

Kind regards 

Chris. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Except I don't think they want to cancel the address.  Rather they want it working.

@irn-bru Did I see you post a log earlier with a VM402 error in?

Tim

PS - I think it was deleted as it had your IP address in, you do need to be careful what you post online.  I didn't see any other personal info.

Edit - Your wife will still need to join the thread so Chris can go through DPA checks with her.  But he should be able to assist.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
irn-bru
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

My wife does not want to cancel the address either, she wants it working again. As mentioned in my initial post; for whatever reason her address is unable to send, but can still receive.

Yes - you did see a log with that VM code in it. I've added again below with no personal or IP info in it.
Regarding my wife joining the thread - I know for a fact she would hate that and would rather speak to someone instead or better still get me to do it for her. This is why I'm the one doing this stuff.

Besides with her blueyonder email out of action; kinda difficult to register with the forum.

2019.03.12 20:05:57 xxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk: UploadItems: 1 messages to send
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Begin execution
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Port: 465, Secure: SSL, SPA: no
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Finding host
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Connecting to host
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Securing connection
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Connected to host
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 220 know-smtprelay-3-imp cmsmtp ESMTP server ready
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): [tx] EHLO USerPC
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-know-smtprelay-3-imp hello [xx.xx.xx.xxx], pleased to meet you
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-HELP
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-SIZE 52000000
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-PIPELINING
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250-8BITMIME
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 250 OK
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Authorized to host
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): Connected to host
2019.03.12 20:05:57 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): [tx] MAIL FROM: <*****>
2019.03.12 20:05:59 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): <rx> 550 5.1.0 From address is invalid (VM402)
2019.03.12 20:05:59 SMTP (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk): End execution
2019.03.12 20:05:59 xxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x800ccc78
2019.03.12 20:05:59 xxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk: Synch operation completed

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Chris_W1 should be able to help you out, however normally it's a legal requirement to clear DPA with the account holder.  (I don't know if they might find some alternate means of doing this - @Kev_B have you any suggestions?)

For it's part the 402 message is a telling message.  It normally suggests that the Mail From: address is different to the Authid address but doesn't validate on Virgin Media's systems properly.

However this may be similar to the VM304 errors seen elsewhere, where the address exists on the Front end but for some reason is no longer on the LDAP backend.  Chris should be able to escalate this to the IT department so that they can see what's happening and fix it.  Sadly this isn't something phone support themselves would be able to help with (trust me on that).

I'm going to leave you in Chris' hands.

Chris if you have any questions about what I've posted, drop me a PM and I'll try and explain further.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
irn-bru
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

"... clear DPA with the account holder... I don't know if they might find some alternate means of doing this..."

As it sounds like we can't talk to someone directly and my wife's email is still able to receive, then:
a. Someone could email her something and I could replay it back via a private message.
b. Ask me the questions that only the account holder would know and I'll answer them.
c. We use another blueyonder email (not my wife's email) to view online bills and the like. Would that one do? I've never used that email and there are a number of sub-acconts attached to it. One of the sub email accounts is what I used to register to the forum. Just checked the email account as I typed and nope can't email login I use to view our bills as I get "Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices." So it'll have to be the alias attached to it.

The "guddle/confusion" surrounding main accounts/missing sub accounts was when (years back) Virgin media brought emails back in-house (from google I think) and a wee while after the main accounts names were all changed at the back-end and a while after that emails stopped working. I can't remember the year exactly but using the forum (under a different/defunct now probably profile) it was sorted by a moderator of the forum "Nikki_B?". While doing this the logical (to us) main accounts and sub accounts were mixed up. The email accounts were working so we left it as we couldn't face getting it changed any further.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Morning Irn-bru,

Sorry you're still having issues with this. 

Can you get your Wife to post on the forums and we can help? The reason being this would need to be done by the account holder only, and then we're more than willing to see what we can do to assist.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos