cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email hacked

Kris6
Joining in

My Facebook was accessed and photos of Islamic state were uploaded. I was reported to Facebook for user abuse, which was distressing and the fact someone had been in my account was horrific. I later realised they had accessed my Facebook through my old blueyonder email address! Did the online chat with virgin customer services on Monday and was assured my passwords were changed. Next day they are back in trying to access my Amazon account and various other accounts linked to this address. Also now had a ransom demand! So phoned virgin this time . Again not able to freeze my account, close my account or even change my password. At my wits end. It has been escalated and I have a ref number and was promised someone would ring me back....Still waiting!! For peace of mind I have had to cancel my debit and credit cards which is a huge inconvenience. This whole experience has been hugely distressing and quite frankly the virgin customer services have been neglectful. There has been a data breach here of people's email addresses AND PASSWORDS which Virgin are trying to sweep under the carpet. If you are reading this then please abandon any email addresses you have with virgin! 

Kris

6 REPLIES 6

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Kris6,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you believe your email address may have been compromised. I'm going to send you a private message shortly so that I can assist you further. Please respond to this when you can and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Kris6
Joining in

Hi, can you tell me who helped you? Only the same thing has happened to me and virgin keep telling me they can't help! Will they ever admit our data has been leaked??

[MOD EDIT: viewability]

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you responded to Zach_R ?

VM are obliged to report any known data breaches.  The absence of such reports is a good indicator that there have been no such breaches.

The most common cause of these apparent breaches is where the same username and password has been used across multiple sites one of which has been compromised.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No breach? Then why are there so many people on this forum with the same complaint? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Usually because the same username and password has been used across multiple sites.

Also, although this doesn't appear to be the case for you, a lot of the posts related to 'hacked' VM accounts turn out to be cases where former customers have continued to use email addresses that should be closed down after they cease to be customers but have continued beyond 90 days before finally getting shut down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey Kirs6, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some email issues.

I can see my colleague has sent you a PM about this issue, please do reach back out for any further assistance on this. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?