Menu
vivlock
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email finishing

I have been told that the Blueyonder email address is being withdrawn soon. Today I received a call from Virgin Media to say that as a result of this I needed to choose where any future blueyonder emails should be sent (eg Hotmail, Outlook etc)

I can find no information on the internet about this nor on the Virgin Media website. Nor has any notification been sent to me. My Blueyonder address is used for all my personal and official email traffic. It would create a real headache to lose it. Has anyone else come across this?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email finishing

@vivlock wrote:

I have been told that the Blueyonder email address is being withdrawn soon. Today I received a call from Virgin Media to say that as a result of this I needed to choose where any future blueyonder emails should be sent (eg Hotmail, Outlook etc)

I can find no information on the internet about this nor on the Virgin Media website. Nor has any notification been sent to me. My Blueyonder address is used for all my personal and official email traffic. It would create a real headache to lose it. Has anyone else come across this?

On the face of it that is complete nonsense. Who told you this and are you the call wasn't just another of the many scam calls doing the rounds?

Provided that you have a current VM broadband account and that the Blueyonder address concerned is either the primary address for the account or a secondary address that shows when checking My Accounts when logged in to My Virgin Media with your primary username, there should be no danger of the blueyonder address being closed down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
vivlock
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I didn't say it in my first message but my informant actually works for Virgin Media. My Blueyonder email address is the primary address on my Virgin account. I have their broadband, phone and television. It certainly isn't a scam as my informant is a very old and good friend so whether there is some confusion within the Virgin machine amongst their staff about this or whether something is being kept back from us for the moment I cannot tell. I was told confidentially.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@vivlock  Thanks for that update.  I have raised this in the private forum area available for VIP community members to liaise directly with the the staff team.

If your insider informant is correct then it is a very worrying situation for the thousands of current customers with blueyonder email addresses.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same boat of a very long standing Blueyonder email address.  If that is withdrawn, then I will transition to a non-ISP email address, and the consequence of that is one of the significant tie-ins with VM will no longer exist.  Couple that with the apparent move to eighteen month contracts (which I don't like one tiny bit), and it's further pressure when my discount finishes later this year.

If (and we don't yet know) this is going to happen, I'd encourage others to make sure they don't use a VM provided email service in future for the same reasons.  There's free ones (Outlook, Gmail etc) with the caveat on privacy, decent paid options for a couple of quid a month, or even the highly secure, free, Proton mail service (but you have to use webmail or an app, not an ordinary mail client).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Kev_B
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @vivlock 

There aren't any plans to close the Blueyonder domain. I've checked with several sources internally and there isn't a piece of work currently in progress or planned to do this. Any legacy Virgin Media email, be it Blueyonder, NTL World or Virgin.net will stay active so long as it's attached to a live account.

From time to time we remove orphaned mailboxes, these are mailboxes that are live but attached to inactive accounts. Whenever we do this we do contact affected customers to give notice of the change.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules