Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email account - password needs resetting

Hi,

I am no longer a VM customer, but still have an active blueyonder email account.  This email account appears to have been compromised, and I would like to reset my password.  Unfortunately, I am unable to do this without first logging into My Virgin Media (which I do not have).

Can someone please provide advice on how I can go about changing my password, without having to deactivate the email account.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email account - password needs resetting

Unfortunately, you are not going to get the result you desire, trapsy.  If you are no longer a customer, the only thing that can be done is to delete the mailbox permanently, as you have no rights to be using the VM servers.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

It may have NOT been compromised, it might be the start of the closure process.  The mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (according to VM's own Terms and Conditions). But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (Try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey Trapsy,

If you wish for me to delete the account let me know and I can get this arranged for you but as mentioned above, we won't be able to do anything other than that, I'm afraid.

Thanks for providing all of the information @MissPasko 

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Can you confirm that by closing the email account down, it is no longer able to send / recieve messages? And it cannot be used by whoever has hacked it?

If so, can my old email account please be closed down. 

Kind regards 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Trapsy,

Yes if the email is deleted, you'll no longer be able to access it and cannot send or receive emails. If you wish to have it deleted, please make sure you back up any important emails and then let us know when you're ready so we can arrange this with you.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos