Please help. Some time ago, my account got blocked from SMTP due to the changes in virus detection, which led to my IP address being blocked. I contacted VM support who were not able to do anything. This situation resolved itself when I got a new modem to upgrade my account. New MAC, new IP address, no more blocked SMTP.
I could not, however, access webmail. For several weeks VM 'support' have been calling me up, changing my password, seeing no change and resubmitting the ticket. This wasn't really an issue because I use Thunderbird as a client.
Yesterday, I got another call and the technician performed *another* password reset but this time, it broke my IMAP access. All attempts to connect request a password. The one I have been using does not work and I have no idea what it now is. I know the account still works as I have a machine that was connected before the reset and still has an authenticated session (which I dare not turn off).
This should be an easy fix. Just go to my account settings and select the Manage Accounts tab and reset the password for the address. Except the e-mail is not listed in that section. Also, if I go directly to the password recovery web address and type in my e-mail address it tells me the account is not recognised.
I have an open support ticket with VM who tell me they will try to get this resolved in 5 to 10 working days. As that is totally unacceptable, I'm wondering whether anyone on this board can suggest a way to get this fixed more quickly.
I work in IT and have a full working knowledge of internet protocols. All I need to be able to do is reset the IMAP password for the alternate account that is not showing. If it makes any difference, it is a Blueyonder account.
1) Just go to my account settings and select the Manage Accounts tab and reset the password for the address. Except the e-mail is not listed in that section.
2) Also, if I go directly to the password recovery web address and type in my e-mail address it tells me the account is not recognised.
To be honest those two results suggest that:
1) That Blueyonder address is not linked to your current Virgin Media broadband account
2) That possibly the account has been deleted by VM as an "orphan" account - one that is not linked to a live broadband account. (The fact that it is a Blueyonder address is not factor)
You can test 2) by sending a test email to that address from another email account and seeing if you get a non delivery reply back. If it says the reason is that the username does not exist that means the account has been deleted.
The problem has now been fixed. Someone from VM support called me yesterday and was able to change the password for me so IMAP access works.
Here is the weird thing, though, there seems to be some sort of mail aliasing going on. The password for a *different* e-mail address was changed (which does show up on my list of accounts) but now allows me to access e-mail for the address I am using (which does not show up on the list).
Right now, I'm of the opinion that, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". So long as I have access to my e-mail, I am happy, I'll just assume there's some magic going on behind the scenes.