cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder.co.uk, can't sign in on new phone.

paulboustead
Tuning in

I have access on my old phone, I can sign in on web mail. But every email app I use says either cannot connect to server or username and password is wrong.

I have changed my password, I do have a current account and I am with virgin media. 

I have tried manually and let the system do it to no avail.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I understand it should be available for all My Virgin Media accounts.  See this screen shot:

Screenshot_20230602-214417.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paulboustead If you have changed the password then read the following:

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks for replying, but mine does not have the mailbox app option.... Or am I missing something 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I understand it should be available for all My Virgin Media accounts.  See this screen shot:

Screenshot_20230602-214417.png

Ok, I have that, I have generated a password, I have used that as the password, but I'm still unable to connect. Now getting couldn't open connection to server 😔

16857399386563552039007770797683.jpg

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's annoying.  Unfortunately the error messages thrown up by email clients tend to be generic and not very helpful.

Have you tried a different app?

By the way your screen shot cannot be shown as it contains personal information.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check that your email client is using the recommended settings here, Email settings change - Virgin Media Community - 3369438

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

grahamm77
On our wavelength

Despite what VM Help Desk said.  The password for WEB access is not the same as for mail access using apps or 3rd party clients such as MS Outlook or Thunderbird.  When you access your web site under Email is a section that says password for Apps etc... They then generate a mutli-word password use that one apps things like MS Outlook for IMAP, POP3 & SMTP.   Usually done automatically but sometimes you have to go to manual and complete it with the second time of entering the password.