Menu
karmic1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder Email Photo

I have tried everything to update my identifying photo on my blueyonder email address. The photo that is sent to people receiving email was NOT uploaded by me, it seems to have selected it from somewhere else on my system.

i have changed my profile picture dozens of times, and nothing happens, it just keeps with the old picture

it is driving me absolutely crazy, as I can’t send emails with that old picture

can anyone/someone PLEASE help????

ive spoken to Virgin about it, but sadly the advice I was given has been  useless.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder Email Photo

I think you are under a misapprehension.

Email does not send a photo of you when you send an email.  The only time your photo would be sent to them is if you send out your Personal address book entry to them as a vCard and then it's up to them whether or not they use the vCard to update their address book.

The Photo they see is the one they've added to your entry in their address book otherwise.

Tim

Edit: The Photo's you see in the compose window act as a visual aid when creating the mail.  They are not sent with the mail.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
karmic1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Your email account has an associated avatar that you select via your email settings. On my settings, the avatar/photo that is set on my account is different to the one that appears when I send a mail.

this is NOT the photo that people have saved that associates with me, as I have sent messages to over 20 different accounts, and the same image appears on every persons email.

So, unfortunately it does not appear to be “misapprehension”

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Do you want to tell me exactly which setting you are referring to?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They probably mean the uploaded photo option in My Contact Data under Virgin Media webmail settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A 

That's the way I read it, and I stand by what I said.

The picture itself is not sent with every email.  It can be sent along with the rest of the contact data by ticking attach vCard in the email settings.

However the vCard needs to be added to the recipients address book before they'll see the 'Avatar' next to their mails.  If they have an existing address book entry ad don't update it with the vCard data then they'll still see the old image against your name.

Tim

Edit Fun Fact - The vCard itself is just a simple text file.  Any Photo that has been uploaded is converted to Base64.  The Address book software converts the data back into a photo file.

Tim

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I did have a play with two of my VM accounts

I made sure that there was no address book entry for my main account and sent me an email with the vCard file attached.

As expected the Avatar next to the email simply showed a default image of a grey head on a white background.

Av1.PNG

After I added the vCard file to my address book.  I refreshed the browser window completely and saw the new Image

Av2.PNG

Until I refreshed the web page though I was still seeing the default image.

Tim

However 

0 Kudos
karmic1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If that was the case how come everyone I email is seeing the same image despite the fact that my vCard is a different photo? It seems to be a google specific thing. Whenever I send a message to ANY gmail account my info comes up with the circle on the left and that circle has a josh in it that I e never used on any info or contact details, no matter how many times I update the info.

does that make sense?

dave

0 Kudos
karmic1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry phone fingers. Not Josh, JPEG!

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

And this is ONLY Gmail recipients seeing this image?

Have you by any chance a Google account of your own?  If so then I suspect they are seeing your Google profile picture.

Tim

0 Kudos