cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking an email address

Drick
On our wavelength

I'm to block all my emails from a certain email address. I've added the email address to the Block List but the email still come through. I assumed that by adding the address to the Block LIst I wouldn't see any of the email from that email address.

Can someone advice. 

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Drick The block list in VM Mail is a specific filter which diverts emails to the VM Spam folder.  It doesn't block them from being received as you have found.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Drick
On our wavelength

Thanks Graham, I suspected that was the answer.

Is there any way to completely block them? The emails are from someone who's behavior is verging towards stalking and we want to stop them coming through. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please do consider reporting this to the police or discussing the matter with them, read more here How to report stalking or harassment | Police.uk;

In webmail a filter rule, read more here How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help,  can be used to:

• redirect these message to a third-party email address and permanently delete
    2023-06-15-a.jpeg
  • move them to a subfolder
    2023-06-15-b.jpeg
  • reject delivery with an appropriate message indicating a delivery failure, i.e. unknown user, spam found, etc
    2023-06-15-c.jpeg

The former options are useful in that they allow for an ongoing assessment to be made of the situation and / or provide an evidentiary trail should it be required; the latter does not retain rejected messages.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi Drick, thanks for the messge and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the emails. Can you confirm if you have done what 用心棒 has suggested? 

Has this changed anything? Pease let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

ALF28
Super solver

Unwanted emails.

The advice given is good, Blacklisting just puts the emails to spam, so the advice in  the posts to use email  filtering which is set up in email settings, is the way forward and is what I do, with various options such as reject, filter to a named folder, or discard (delete).

I have cleared out old spam deleting them but I monitor the spam/scam emails coming in to check the activity and if my email is being abused by filtering to a specific folder(s)

In my own case, I had persistent emails for at least 7 years, and still get them from the same person and also blackmail emails. Also it was linked with social media hacking which is often the case when they get your. password.

It is possible the person may be a known previous contact  or associate or relative and for some reason they pester you similar to cyber stalking, in which case collect any evidence should as it may it be needed.

I did report some the  authorities, but they do not provide any feedback.

It is wise not to click on any links or attachments/images  in suspicious emails and I switch off HTML images and view as text only for extra security.

It may be wise to have alternative emails and switch your email address to a new one.

If you do not respond to unwanted or spam and scam emails, they do eventually stop sending, however if a sender is persistent, filtering them to a folder and they can then be kept or deleted, and that keeps them out of the inbox.

Most email have filtering, The VM email filters are very good with many options and I usually use the full email address, but sometimes the sender will keep altering the sender address in which case just a part can be used such as contains @xxxxyyy or john.xxxx@ etc

Unwanted emails can cause distress, so simply filter them out. It may be necessary to update the filters to include new ones. I used to get a lot sometime many each day, but I now only get a few each week, so perhaps VM block some of them or they tag them as spam, always a good indicator the email may be fake.

Many spammers use a fake identity that they have set up and also use VPN so they can not be easily traced, so the email source may be anywhere in the world, I get a lot of fake spam emails from Germany, Israel, Korea, USA, Europe, Australia, etc.

I think it is wise to monitor ant suspicious repeating emails and they can be used as evidence if needed and kept in a folder.

To block a person is easy, simply filter the sender and set the action to discard, this deleted the email, but the sender will not know it has been deleted. I have not tried reject, but may be worth trying that.