cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked ntlworld email account

Bill53
Joining in

My wife’s ntlworld email account has been hacked and is now blocked. The message we get is Cannot get email, no password for ntlworld. How can we have the account unblocked so that we can change her password?

18 REPLIES 18

Hi Bill53,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your Wife's Email has been hacked which is the only one you use, I have tried to locate you with the details we have for you however wasn't able, are you still a Virgin Media Broadband user?

Regards

Paul.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul_DN  See Bill53 answer in message 10.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No, we are not Virgin broadband users.

@Paul_DN I would also hazard a guess here that the email hasn't been hacked by a third party or blocked by VM but rather deleted completely as an orphaned account. 

It would have been nice to have had some advance notice!

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bill53

Thank you for getting back in touch with us and confirming you are no longer a Virgin Media customer. 

As this is the case it is likely that the email address has now been deactivated. This would usually happen within 90 days of the Virgin Media account being disconnected but in some case it can take longer. 

I would be happy to double check the email address for you to be sure. I will pop you over a private message now to grab the details and we can go from there. The message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

@Bill53 in VM’s defence here, they will claim (not without justification), that you, or more specifically your wife, WAS given advanced notice as it is clearly stated in the T’s and C’s that use of any VM branded email addresses is dependent on being a VM broadband customer and that access to said email will be terminated 90 days after you leave.

OK, I fully accept that nobody really reads through all the small print and VM don’t really help themselves by not strictly adhering to the 90 day limit, and I suspect there are various reasons for this tied to legacy setups etc.

Also, please consider this, maintaining the email storage, handling the data traffic etc. does cost VM some money, for which they are getting, how much back from you for doing this? Why would they entertain giving you a free service?

Now I appreciate that all of the above may seem a bit harsh on first reading, and I promise you that I do sympathise with your situation, having the rug suddenly pulled from under your feet, so to speak, can’t be a good position, but the email address was always on borrowed time from the second you ceased to be a VM customer.

Having said that, as @Natalie_L says above, the forum team will make efforts to see if anything can be done, if the deletion process hasn’t gone too far and if the backend IT people are prepared to act on it, then maybe, just maybe, they can arrange for your wife to have access again. But please don’t count on it and even if it does happen it absolutely WILL be a short term, one-time-only reprieve. In the meantime, it is best to assume and work on the basis that the email address has gone for good and isn’t coming back and make arrangements to set up an alternative provision and notify all of her contacts of the new address.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bill53, thanks for your reply via private message, just bringing this back publicly now.

As you have confirmed you don't have any Virgin Media active services, we're unable to retrieve the email account in question unfortunately.

As @Graham_A has suggested: "By implication this suggests that you are not current VM broadband customers or that the Ntlworld email address was attached to an old account that you had. If you are not currently VM broadband customers then there is nothing that can be done to recover the email address."

The response is quite final, but I do sincerely apologise as this is correct - I appreciate this will be a disappointing response.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Disappointed is an understatement. As you state we don’t have any Virgin Media active services and given your response we will definitely not have any in the future!