Menu
BEF
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Blacklist sender

Blacklist sender does not work. I am still receiving emails from people on my blacklist?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blacklist sender

Are the emails going into the spam folder?  If so the blacklist is working as designed for the VM Mail system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BEF
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham, No, they don't go into my spam box? and when I try to black list them  it tells me it is already in the black listing?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do any rules precede Blacklist under ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > Filter Rules and if so are any set to not Process subsequent rules?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BEF
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Okay, In my list of rules, the last one was "Not" process subsequent rules. So I have now changed that. Do you think this is the answer to my issue?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it is unlikely that rule is causing the issue given its position; filter rule execution order is top down. Stumped for the moment as to what could be the cause.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the issue persist if you delete the email address from the blacklist and then re-added it?

0 Kudos
BEF
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thank you for your assistance. I did say that they weren't going into my spam box but I now realise that some do? So, is this what is supposed to happen? I thought that the Black list would stop them altogether?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@BEF wrote:

Hi, Thank you for your assistance. I did say that they weren't going into my spam box but I now realise that some do? So, is this what is supposed to happen? I thought that the Black list would stop them altogether?

No, the blacklist in Virgin Media mail is designed to move blacklisted items to the spam folder on receipt.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@BEF wrote:

I did say that they weren't going into my spam box but I now realise that some do?

The other issue with the Blacklist option is that it only works for that exact email address so unfortunately it rarely works for spam emails.

The reason for that is that spammers do not want their emails to be caught by blacklists so they change the sending address with each new wave of spam. The change of address is often barely noticeable but it is enough to bypass the blacklist.

That could well be the reason some of your (supposedly) blacklisted senders are still getting into your inbox.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more