Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Blacklist problem

Hi All

Due to the fact that I receive up to 20 spam emails a day into my outlook inbox, I have been onto web mail and tried to blacklist the offenders. I managed to do this selecting multiple addresses for a while. Subsequently, each time I blacklisted a batch a notification came up stating there were too many addresses to blacklist and to remove some. This I did. I reduced the number to 10 which was OK. Then 10 was too many so I selected 5. This was OK but was subsequently too many. This continued until I could only select 1 and was informed this was too many and to remove some addresses.

I have emptied my spam box and trash but still can't blacklist anyone now. I know blacklisting is not very effective as the senders' email addresses change daily but I thought it may help a little.

The volume of spam seems to increase daily and is driving me mad. If it wasn't my primary email address which is being targeted I would change to a new one but, with so many contacts using it, it would be a nightmare trying to inform everyone.

I know there is no solution to the spam problem but would appreciate any suggestions regarding the inability to blacklist. Thank you in anticipation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blacklist problem

You are correct - the blacklist is not any use against spam.  But your email address has got on spammers' lists and you can't get off of them.

To control the amount of emails you get requires a bit of patience.

• Go to settings in VM webmail, and make sure you have selected SPAM Settings to be Move message to Spam folder.
  • Have a look at all your settings to be sure they are ones you want.  Clear out the contacts list of dross.
  • Check the spam folder regularly to see if good mail goes in there and mark it as not spam.
  • Mark any spam emails that are in your inbox as spam to help Virgin recognise them (does not always work efficiently, but it can help)
  • Unsubscribe to any mailing lists you don't want to be on (IF THE SENDER IS GENUINE, OBVIOUSLY)
  • Read the advice from Boothy99 here. He has put together some good self-help spam filtering steps.
  • Register with Spamcop.net and use that to report spam that VM haven't caught.  It won't get your address off any lists, but it closes them down more quickly.  It is a bit fiddly to join, but then reporting is easy.

Set up a new email address (with VM if you must), preferably with a non-ISP email service.  The new address will not be on any spammers list if you are careful to use it sensibly.  Plus you'll get better support, security and spam filtering.  Gradually move all your contacts and online uses to the new address, and leave the old one to gather dust.

Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Had chance to try the multi-spam filter, MissPasko gave the link for above, JohnC25? It works well, sending the crud to the spam folder 👍

Similar problem discussed here -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-amp-blacklist/td-p/4143587 with a recently updated filter list at message 12

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for the tips, much appreciated