Menu
Enduser
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Blacklist full !

I have been using the 'blacklist' to see if I could slow down the amount of spam messages that I had been receiving. 

Recently I got a message that my blacklist was full. My question is this, if I delete some of the emails addresses on the blacklist will it allow them to be received again.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blacklist full !

It is simply naive to think that you can solve the problem of sudden spam surges by using VM's blacklisting facility in web mail. It really only well (if it works at all) for those people sending you mail from unchanging fixed addresses; which precisely the opposite of what spammers do.  So it would be useful against people you longer wish to talk to, like your nuisance cousin Betty or that annoying bloke round the corner, but for little else. That is because it is a simple sort of pre-set mail filter. so now you know how it works you can decide whether to use it or not and whether or not to delete some entries to make room for others.

There does seem to be a spam surge at the moment and the VM filters look like they are having an issue in identifying and coping. The best you can do is make sure your spam settings are set to direct spam to the spam folder and cope with what gets into your in-box. Or as we never tire of saying use a non-ISP related web mail service that have proven spam filtering capabilities. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Enduser
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the lecture, and the slight smack.

I assume from your reply that you are unable to answer the question in my email.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

... It really only works well (if it works at all) for those people sending you mail from unchanging fixed addresses; which precisely the opposite of what spammers do...

>

>

>

YES 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Enduser wrote:

Thanks for the lecture, and the slight smack.

There was no lecture and no smack intended or delivered. Just my honest appraisal of how this rather crude filter works

I assume from your reply that you are unable to answer the question in my email.

If you remove an entry from the blacklist, mail from that address may well appear again in your inbox because the blacklist filter operates only on your inbox. It might not appear again if the VM spam filters are now picking it up. I had hoped I had given you enough information to deduce that. I prefer not to direct people as to what to do. I would much rather give them the information, in this kind of circumstance,  to make their own choices which I feel I did do in response to your post.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Enduser
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your second reply, that's all I wanted to know.

0 Kudos