cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklist emails

Vic15
Joining in

I have suddenly started recieving approx 10 emails a day all from the same @email address. I keep adding them to my blacklisted emails but they are still coming through as the begining of the email address is different for each one. Is there any way to completely blacklist the sender based on the @.... Part of an email address? It's driving me nuts. Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Go to ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > Filter Rules > Add new rule and create a rule similar to the following:

2020-11-10.jpeg
NB: replace example.com with the email domain you wish to block and if further domains needs to be blocked just append them with a separating vertical line, for example example.com | example.net | example.org

Should you find yourself creating more than a handful of filter rules do consider looking for another email service provider with better spam handling and security that is equal to or greater than the service it will be used with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Go to ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > Filter Rules > Add new rule and create a rule similar to the following:

2020-11-10.jpeg
NB: replace example.com with the email domain you wish to block and if further domains needs to be blocked just append them with a separating vertical line, for example example.com | example.net | example.org

Should you find yourself creating more than a handful of filter rules do consider looking for another email service provider with better spam handling and security that is equal to or greater than the service it will be used with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I blacklisted the email address. Now I'm getting the same from about 5 other email addresses. As fast as I blacklist them another lot come along.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Miscreants frequently change the sender's From address and/or Subject in anticipation that they will be blocked and this makes the blacklist function unsuited to the task of blocking spam. Instead consider create a filter rule.

I've used the filter rule and emails from same :address come through. Dont even get filtered into a spam folder!

I have tried that and am still getting them so wondering if I have maybe done it wrong. Could you share what options you use to compare with please, that is if you don't mind. Thanks

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength

Same problem here, at least half a dozen emails every day about my non-existent Norton account. Have set rules umpteen ways but nothing seems to work!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is likely the rule has failed to match as its conditions have not been met; probably because lookalike characters have been used, for example using your browser find function you will see that norton is found but not nοrtοn because:

• the former use the expected Latin small letter o
  • but the latter use an unexpected Greek small letter omicron

Examine the source text of the email to confirm if this is the case; in webmail select the message, then > View source and review the values of From: and Subject: lines.

Should you find that you are having to create / manage more than a handful of filters to identify spam consider seeking an alternative email service provider with better spam handling or use an email client's inbuilt spam filter, for example Thunderbird.

Sorry but i dont understand any of that technological jargon. I have used.VM email for years and cannot change to another provider as there are htoo many people to notify of a change. VM need to sort this glitch as its not just me who has this problem. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This example shows the source text of a spam email with the From and Subject headers highlighted:

2020-11-23-00.jpeg

None of my contacts are named Norton so I can create the following filter rule to match this and similar spam containing Norton in the From header:

2020-11-23-01.jpeg
Should the rule fail to match a message from Norton then it is likely the miscreant has used lookalike characters to circumvent the filter.

A similar dilemma is faced by email service provider as miscreants find ways to circumvent their spam filters; some clearly adapt with more grace than others.