Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BT email blocked using Outlook or Applemail

I’ve been successfully using bt email the past 5 years from home virgin cable but the past few weeks am unable to send anything. I can send from 4G or other wifi just not from home. I looked up my home IP and its not listed in SBL or XBL but is listed in PBL 

I am using authentication tried ports 465 and 587 but no difference 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT email blocked using Outlook or Applemail

If you are using VM's outgoing mail servers (SMTP) to send mail using your BT mail address then it will fail. You should be using BT's mail servers. If you are and it is failing it is not a VM issue. VM as a carrier is irrelevant.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am using mail.btinternet.com

It works fine from any other network just not mine which is listed on the PBL spamhaus 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Stop barking up the wrong tree. A PBL listing is entirely to be expected from Spamhaus. They try to list all dynamically allocated IP addresses issued by ISPs which should not be running mail servers. PBL listings do not interfere with mail sending or receipt in the normal course of events.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

PBL will not affect sending of email, most if not all residential IP addresses are listed on here as that is related to the IP being dynamic.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There you have it in stereo!

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK so back to the problem. I can’t send BT email from multiple devices when attached to my home network. Any ideas? Is the router blocking or are BT blocking inbound from my IP? iCloud and other email works fine from home

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Speak to BT as there is no way of Virginmedia to tell if BT are blocking your external WAN address, looking at what you have said I do believe they are, it would be down to them to remove the block.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is a Forum for sorting out VM mail issues. Not BT mail issues. So most us have limited knowledge of the BT mail system. But I can tell you this. If some of your devices work then it is not your Hub that is doing any blocking. In any event the Hib doesn't do this. It might be worth posting on a BT Forum  to discuss this. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@dsknowles wrote:

I’ve been successfully using bt email the past 5 years from home virgin cable but the past few weeks am unable to send anything. I can send from 4G or other wifi just not from home. I looked up my home IP and its not listed in SBL or XBL but is listed in PBL 

I am using authentication tried ports 465 and 587 but no difference 

Any suggestions?

Which type of BT email service do you have? https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

Is it Premium?

Premium email costs £7.50 a month.
It's a lot like Standard email but you don't have to buy BT Broadband to get it. You'll need to pay the monthly fee by direct debit.

or is it Basic?

Basic email is free.
You don't need BT broadband to have it. It has some of the same features as Standard or Premium email. 

You won't be able to use BT's Standard email service unless you are a BT customer.

You should be able to access the BT Premium and Basic email services using BT's webmail on any device with an internet connection.
If using an email client you will have to use the servers noted here:
https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

Note the port numbers required:

IMAP (Incoming): Port 993

POP3 (Incoming): Port 995

SMTP (Outgoing): Port 465

Also see the BT support page here: https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/setting-up-your-email

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos