Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Automatic sign out not working

Since the changes made a few weeks back it would appear the Webmail  Automatic sign out is not working.

I access my email using webmail on Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop.  I have checked the Automatic sign out settings and they are still at 30 minutes  but I would appear never to be automatically logged out, sometimes for days. 

The  system pre the recent changes  to the bookmarks always logged me out after 30 mins when not in use.  

Any advice please....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Automatic sign out not working

T

You need to use the sign out button under settings if you want to sign out when you close the browser window.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yep,  I agree.  But what has happened to the auto log out.  

Previously I never  logged out and the system would always do it for me....not now.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM have changed their single sign in process.  Under the current version you stay logged in until you force a sign out.

I will check with them if the timed sign out option in webmail is supposed to override this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are there any security implications in remaining signed in having closed the browser? I'd like to assume that no-one else can access an open webmail box (I mean from a different device of course) but knowing the way some of these changes are implemented...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are using a machine that others have access to then you would be wise to sign out each time, before closing the browser.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

But otherwise I assume there should be no problem, no-one else has access to my computers. In theory it therefore puts it more on a par with using a third party mail client like Yahoo or Hotmail as compared with before when you had to sign in every single time, but it seems a bit flaky sometimes auto-connecting and sometimes requiring a login, without touching the settings' "sign out" option, so I wondered whether it was as secure as other mail clients in practice. Has anyone encountered any problems with it from that point of view?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have noticed this, agree with graham, on several occasions I have stayed logged in overnight twice, must have closed a browser without signing off leaving the webmail logged in in even though the browser was  closed and computer turned off.There used to be a timeout so not sure why it happens.

Best always to log out, however if the webmail was already logged in after logging out when accessing the webmail that would be more concerning indicating a remote login by someone else so best to change password as I have done when this happened.

Also closing a browser does not log you out, opening the browser will prove you are still logged in.

Same applies to gmail, if you do not log out it can stay logged in the next day when you log in already logged in.

So the practice of always logging out is a good one, having had similar issues the last few days I found this thread informative.

logging out always-This also prevents unauthorised access by leaving your email logged in.

ALF28

0 Kudos