cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication fails

Hobbes1218
Dialled in

Hi folks, a few months ago I started to get an authentication fails error when trying to access my ntlworld email. This happens at least once a year. Sometimes I leave it for a few days and email starts to work again. Last time I called Virgin and a nice Scottish chap sorted the problem out in a few minutes. It's happening again so I thought I would call again as it was sorted out so quickly last time. This time I spoke to three different people over the course of an hour and got nowhere. They all just did the same thing. Changing the password. I can get into my Virgin account on the website with the new passwords they gave me but when I click on email from the site link I get this message.

Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable

This is either because your Virgin Media Mail account is locked, or because you don’t have an active account with us anymore.

I was told somebody would call me in the next 5 working days. I'm not feeling much hope of that at the moment. Just wondered if anyone else has gone through this? The first lady I spoke to mentioned that I had been locked as there was some suspicious activity on my account but neither of the other people I spoke to mentioned this. How can this be so difficult for Virgin to sort out? It must cost Virgin a lot of money to provide support for recurring issues like this. I can't access email from the Virgin website. I've tried different browsers. Also Outlook on ios and eM Client on Windows.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Hobbes1218
Dialled in

P.S. this problem started at about 10pm on Thursday night. By 11pm my email was working again. Friday morning and since I have the problem again.

Hi Hobbes1218, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having continued issues with logging in to your mail account. Taking a look here, I can indeed see that the address was locked due to suspicious activity. When this is picked up, we would lock the account to ensure your security i protected. 

I know you may have already performed some of these actions but please refresh the cache, cookies and browsing data on your device and then please log in to My Virgin Media here. Once logged in, you will need to update your My VM password to something new, unique and secure. Please ensure you create a new password so it's not one you've used ever before otherwise the email may not unlock. 

You'll also need to perform a virus scan on all home devices to ensure there is no breach. 

Once you've updated your My VM password, if you go to Account Settings > Virgin Media Mail Settings > Generate new app password - this will then allow you to be given a password for you to use on any mail clients or apps such as outlook or a mobile mail app. 

Performing these steps will then automatically unlock the mailbox for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Kath. I just changed the password and set up the app email etc. Very confusing and changes not communicated to me by Virgin at all. But thanks very much for your help. email is working again after almost 3 hours of hassle.

Chris

Hobbes1218
Dialled in

P.S. I was told I would get a call back from support within 5 days. Hopefully that ticket can be closed.

Hi Hobbes1218,

Thanks for the update and we'll pass your thanks on to Kath for you.

We can update your ticket to advise this issue has now been resolved for you.

If you need any further assistance with anything, pop back here.

Kind regards Jodi.