Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Authentication Denied (VM305)

I am suddenly experiencing the above error which, from previous threads, needs to be reported here in order to be logged and fixed.  Unless there is any other advice!  Everything was working fine and suddenly I can't send a thing although I receive emails fine.  All my settings are correct.  Thank you! 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Authentication Denied (VM305)

Oh dear!  You have done well to get the error code, now the hard work begins.  A lot of it has to be done by you or a trusted assistant in your home using your broadband, as your IP address is likely blocked due to spambots and malware.  Read this thread and come back if you need help - we will help, but need you to start it off and tell us more and where you are getting stuck or have queries.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

In the meantime, you should be able to send emails using VM webmail on an internet browser, which is allowed even though your IP is blocked for other purposes.  Or a mobile device using data (i.e. not connected to your IP address).

Good luck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

Having a VM305 error would suggest that your home IP is on Spamhaus' CBL blacklist.

Can you please have a look at this post :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Having a VM305 error would suggest that your home IP is on Spamhaus' CBL blacklist.

Can you please have a look at this post :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

@DJ_Shadow1966 - It's actually the CSS - not the CBL.  Virgin Media do use the CBL - but I can't go into full details about how that one works. (if I told you, I'd have to kill you!). ROFL

Tim

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  This pointed me in the right direction, and I had been blocklisted.  I had to use a tech support company in the end as it was getting a bit challenging for  me.  All seems resolved now so thanks for your help! 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - this was very useful, directing me to identify the problems. I have scanned my laptop and found some threats which were dealt with by a tech support company.