Menu
TempusFugit
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Associate email addresses

Hi,

For years I’ve had a Blueyonder email address as my primary account but couldn’t access it as I’d forgotten the password. Recently, Virgin helped me set up a non-Virgin email address and new password, which got me access so to the billing info and emails.

I can see under ‘My profile’ that as well as my main Blueyonder address, I’ve got other ‘associate’ email addresses related to it that are also feeding emails into the inbox.

From reading online, I thought that as this was a primary account I could delete the associate addresses. However, there were no find/change buttons next to the addresses as I was expecting. I called up Virgin last night and they couldn’t remove the addresses either.

I really want to delete them as they’ve not been monitored for years and the emails look like a mixture of spam, scams and other things I wouldn’t want to click on. Also, one of the addresses belonged to an ex-partner, so I don’t want the reminder. Plus, for some reason one of the associate addresses is the same as the main Blueyonder address.

Here are the questions:

(a) Is it possible to delete them, so I don’t get any more emails from them?

(b) If I can’t, what are the security implications? Do these addresses have their own passwords and could someone login to the shared inbox?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Associate email addresses

The associate email addresses you are seeing are actually aliases of the main blueyonder email address and share the same password and mailbox.

As you have found there is no way for you to delete them, however, recently the VM IT team have gained the ability to delete individual emails aliases without deleting the parent address.  I am not in the least bit surprised that the call centre staff are not aware of this.

The Forum Team should be able to refer this to their IT colleagues for you.  They are currently very busy so it may be a few days before they reach this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TempusFugit
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back so quickly on this and for the advice. I’ll waiting for a moderator to get in touch.
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi TempusFugit,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums, @Graham_A is correct that we can remove aliases, or orphaned mailboxes but not the primary mailboxes on an active account. If you are needing the aliases removed please respond to the PM I'll sen shortly. Also as a side note, if you are using any of these aliases as a contact method or log into to another site or service, please update those details before we delete them.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos