Menu
steedycat
Tuning in
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apple Mail not sending over IMAP

I took your tip and ran two anti-malware apps on my desktop Mac. No change after a reboot but I'll see if anything happens in a day or so. Also I now cannot send emails on my iPod so something has changed at Virgin's end to introduce this incompatibility with all mac computers and devices. But blueyonder mail is still working as it always has on my Android phone.

0 Kudos
steedycat
Tuning in
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Correction - the android Samsung Mail app on my phone will not send emails either.

0 Kudos
steedycat
Tuning in
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Update - I just downloaded two different Mac applications (Mailspring and Spark) and neither will accept my blueyonder email account details saying that there is an "SMTP user name and password error". So it seems that the only way I am ever going to be able to send emails on any of my Mac, iOS and Android devices is by using a browser to access the Virgin Media webpage.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@steedycat wrote:

I took your tip and ran two anti-malware apps on my desktop Mac. No change after a reboot but I'll see if anything happens in a day or so. Also I now cannot send emails on my iPod so something has changed at Virgin's end to introduce this incompatibility with all mac computers and devices. But blueyonder mail is still working as it always has on my Android phone.

It's nothing to do with compatibility.  Email has been around since before Apple Macs (or even Windows for that matter) and doesn't actually know or care what operating system or device is connecting to it..  It's even possible to send emails without an email program once you understand the "gobbledygook" as you put it.

Although we Superusers aren't Virgin employees we do have some privileges including access to the SMTP server error codes (a list which we've been specifically asked not to share) and I can tell you that the VM305 error is not a new thing - it's been around for around 12 months at the time of writing this post.

It essentially suggests that spam has been seen coming from your IP address (possibly from a compromised machine, which is why I recommend running malware scans).  Provided no more spam is seen from your IP address  in the next 48 hours the IP should automatically drop off the blacklist that's responsible.  Until that's done you won't be able to send from ANY device on your home IP address except by using webmail.

BTW it's not Virgin Media that's flagged your IP it's a third party - I actually have severe objections to Virgin Media using these blacklists on submission servers.  It's not something that they were designed for.  Rather they are designed to protect what are called mail exchangers, that as the servers responsible for receiving your emails at the destination end.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos