Menu
Codfisherperson
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Anti-virus phishing

I have over the past two weeks received  50/60 phishing emails supposedly from Norton and McAfee. I have blocked everyone and forwarded them to phishing at virginmedia.com but they are  still arriving a dozen times a day.

Can anyone advise how to stop these. 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anti-virus phishing

This subject is already covered in many postings, virgin spam detection is only approx 50% so many do get through.

You are not alone, many are getting these antivirus renewal fake phishing spam emails.

I have posted on using filters if you view the following posts along with other community members.

See-  Re: Security software spam - Virgin Media Community - 4502751

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee - Virgin Media Community - 4501578

Spam - VM's filter is useless! - Virgin Media Community - 4477831

The Virgin spam filter in email "settings" can be set to reject spam or tag spam and place in inbox or spam folder

Unwanted spam can be deleted, or if you tag it as spam (spam icon above email) then it goes into spam folder.

Another option is to use an email client like thunderbird if you use windows, this has built in spam detection using spam assassin and the spam filter can be trained but has  to be set up in the  thunderbird email account and settings for thunderbird, I am trialling this to see how effective it may be.

The antivirus and  bitcoin spam email  is getting past the virgin spam filters, but the warren buffet scam emails are tagged spam.

alf28

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Consider trying the following filter rule to move these misidentified emails to a holding folder: Re: I want spam  When confident the rule is working as expected change the holding folder to your Spam folder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have added regex filtering from another member which covers a lot of current spam senders-

sRe: spam - Page 2 - Virgin Media Community - 4508871

also tried spamfighter but could not get it working with thunderbird.

Thunderbird junk mail options  also not a solution, not better than virgin's own spam filters but I have it switched on 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thunderbird email client-

Junk email detection may be no better than virgin spam filters, misses most and I  mark as spam but next similar email gets through.

Unless you pay for a top of the range spam software, not sure if the free ones are  any good and most have a limited trial period.

Also some spam software deletes spam from  the server direct such as   mailwasher and spam assassin and could be difficult to retrieve any genuine email deleted by mistake. Some spam filters are freeware and not up to date or from dodgy download sites.

Probably just as good using virgin filters and regex where you can block current spam, and the rest picked up by virgin spam filter.

Virgin spam filter  identified my latest scam email (atm mastercard)  and tagged it <spam>

Multiple log in's

I noticed with virgin email it is possible to have multiple login's at once, I can have webmail and thunderbird at the same time.

There is no way to switch off access by third party email clients (imap) and therefore possible for multiple login's to the email account, most email is the same but some have options to switch of  off access via imap and pop and just use webmail only, so more secure, I do that with my other emails such as gmail.

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I do apologise for any frustration or inconvenience caused by an influx of spam/phishing emails. Our spam filters are programmed to learn from what's marked as spam. If our webmail options are used to flag particular emails, it should train our filters to recognise these in the future.

We do sometimes see a spike in spam emails getting through whilst our filters learn to filter emails from new locations etc. This learning is an automated process, so it can sometimes take a little while for everything to be picked up but you should see an improvement moving forwards if they are marked appropriately.

There is no evidence to suggest that these emails are the result of any concerted attacks or data breach. Unfortunately, it's just scammers using more and more technology to generate and spoof email addresses.

In the meantime, the filter rules suggested by our brilliant VIPs and other community members should significantly reduce the amount of spam coming into your main inbox. Please bear in mind, any fraudulent emails purporting to be from Virgin Media can be forwarded to phishing@virginmedia.com. If you receive an automated response advising that this is spam, it means it's already been logged on our system.

Thanks,

Rachael

Codfisherperson
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Having blocked all these phishing emails, Norton/McAfee and others, they still arrive with the blocked sign attached. Surely Virgin can sort this out.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Codfisherperson wrote:

Having blocked all these phishing emails, Norton/McAfee and others, they still arrive with the blocked sign attached. Surely Virgin can sort this out.

If by “blocked sign attached” do you mean <SPAM> prefixed to subject text or something else?

0 Kudos