Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Annoying Outlook App Problem

Hello all,

End of my tether here!

I use Office 365 and have Outlook installed on my Mac and configured as IMAP.

I also use the iPhone Outlook app this is where my issues have started.

I’ve installed / uninstalled several times but what ends up happening each and every time is 

1) I’ll delete an email and it will create a duplicate in the trash.

2) I’ll move an email that needs to be kept to its dedicated folder. It will then create a duplicate of that.

So I delete the account set it up again, it’s fine for a day or so then rinse and repeat.

Another thing when it is working fine, I receive no spam emails, once it’s gone rouge I then start receiving 8 to 10 bitcoin etc. emails at a time though maybe a coincidence.

I’m 1000% sure the account is configured correctly. I’m used to Outlook, it’s used for work on my works computer (all seperate) reason I’m saying that is because if fix is ‘find another email app’ I would rather try and find a solution here. It’s got to be something simple?

Like I say it’s IMAP so there is no check boxes to leave messages on the server or things like that and I haven’t created a rule either.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Annoying Outlook App Problem

Thank you for your post RichL.

This does sound like an Outlook specific issue which I'm honestly not 100% on but some of our very helpful community members may be able to offer some clearer resolution to this for you. I'll tag the ones I know to be quite knowledgeable on this kind of thing below for you.

@MissPasko @ravenstar68

What I will include is our email set up link here in case this may help. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry, I don't have any ideas in this situation.  I use Outlook at work, but never personally, and I turn to the IT department when I have a problem.  I hope you get it resolved.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@RichL wrote:

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I am not sure that this is any help but it does deal with what sounds like the same problem. Some people experienced  similar issues with Outlook back in 2013 but that seemed to be with Gmail addresses though.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/outlook-creates-duplicate-of-... 

This link then points to 2 suggested solutions but they are both dealing with Gmail so the solutions are not directly translatable to VM email accounts:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/outlook-2011-creates-duplicate... 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/moving-a-message-to-another-ma... 

They might give you some clues though.

Here is the link to the MS Outlook Community Forum - it would be worth raising the issue there.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_mac?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=D... 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm not surprised by any of this. The Outlook App for mobile devices is a real horror. It operates in the weirdest way you can imagine. It does not directly connect with your ISP's servers. Instead it uses an intermediate server which belongs to the App developers (now a part of MS) and the device communicates with the intermediate server which then communicates with the ISP's servers. The potential for error is huge.

I suggest you stop worrying and use a standard IOS mail app on your mobile device. The server settings are available here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains

but as they are the same as for desktop settings you should have no issues. Then the whole of your set-up will behave properly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I haven't played with the Outlook App too much as I prefer to use the inbuilt mail clients on iOS and Android devices.  Although this is a personal choice on my part.

I do know that

1.  It's really designed to work best with Microsoft Exchange Servers, although it does also support IMAP/POP3/SMTP
2.  It's actually a rebranding of an app created by a third party company (Accompli) Which Microsoft accquired in 2014
3.  The application uses a third party server as an intermediary between the android/iOS device and your mail providers servers

What's odd is that the app appears to be functioning normally when you first add the account and then later on starts misbehaving.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for the insight. I didn’t realise it used a third party server you would assume (note use of word!) that it would connect directly to VM servers as when you set it up in the first instance, you have to put the virgin media imap and smtp settings into it, but that’s a new one to me.

Maybe I’ll just go back to the stock Mail app as suggested.

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@RichL 

To be honest it's a fair assumption to make.  I originally found out accidentally when I was looking at email headers for a mail I'd sent.  It lead me to do a little digging.

The server does allow The Outlook App to apply the same Focused/Other functionality to IMAP/POP3 mail as it does to MAPI accounts.  The username and password is encrypted before being sent to Microsoft's servers, with the private key needed for decryption only being stored on the Mobile device, although I do note that the decrypted username and password can remain resident in memory on the server for some time.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients/outlook-for-ios-and-android/passwords-and-security...

After the Office 365-based architecture has decrypted the password at runtime, the service can then connect to the Exchange server to synchronize mail, calendar, and other mailbox data. As long as the user continues to open and use Outlook periodically, the Office 365-based architecture will keep a copy of the user's decrypted password in memory to keep the connection to the Exchange server active.

Bear in mind that the above does not apply to the Outlook Desktop App - only to the mobile apps.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped