cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android IMAP Search Not Working

_Ben_
Tuning in

Hi,

I've recently changed phoned Android phones and am having a problem getting Outlook to work seamlessly with Virginmedia email. The problem is that search via Outlook doesn't work at all, never returns results from my inbox. This used to work on the previous Android phone no problem.

Troubleshooting so far:

1. Reset account details in Android Outlook

2. Reinstalled Android Outlook

3. Deleted account details on Android

4. Tried a different Android email client

5. Created a new Virginmedia mailbox

None of the above made search work.

The email account settings are configured manually in Outlook and have used the IMAP settings available on the support page: How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help

I also have a live.com account added on my Android device and search works perfectly fine so I'm left wondering where the problem could be. Has anyone seen this before? What other troubleshooting could I do to help pinpoint the problem? I guess my last port of call would be to completely reset the phone.. hoping for other options before I hit that button.

Grateful for any advice!

Thanks,

Ben.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I finally sorted it. Unfortunately it required a complete app/password reset on my Android phone. I'm guessing that something had gone wrong behind the scenes between Outlook's management of the accounts and Android's.

Glad it's all sorted now, didn't realise how much I depended on search!

Thanks,

Ben.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@_Ben_ wrote:

I've recently changed phoned Android phones and am having a problem getting Outlook to work seamlessly with Virginmedia email.

If you have not done so already, the first thing I would check is that you are able to access your Virgin Media email account directly using the VM Webmail service on the the VM website.

What happens if you try signing in from this page   https://mail2.virginmedia.com/    using that email address and password?

If you get an error message then it means the underlying problem is with the VM email account itself and no amount of tweaking the email app will resolve it.

Post back with the outcome and the exact error message that you get, if any.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi _Ben_.

Thank you for posting and welcoming you back onto our community forums.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your outlook email.

If outlook is not working, as it is a third party app. Sorry you will have to contact Microsoft directly.

Contact them by clicking this link. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi,

I finally sorted it. Unfortunately it required a complete app/password reset on my Android phone. I'm guessing that something had gone wrong behind the scenes between Outlook's management of the accounts and Android's.

Glad it's all sorted now, didn't realise how much I depended on search!

Thanks,

Ben.