Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime and SPAM

I usually receive around 5 SPAM emails into my Inbox each month which I try to add a filter to aradicate them as well as Blaclist the sender and record it as SPAM. 

However, during November so far I have received over 30 SPAM emails.

Is it any coincident that I also signed up for Amazon Prime about a month ago?

I had a similar issue when I last signed up about a year ago although cancelled within a week. Subsequenty I received numerous SPAM emails and telephone calls about my Amazon account. I reported this to Amazon who said it was a coincident.

Has anyone else experienced similar issue?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Prime and SPAM

I would suggest it is still a coincidence.  A while ago I received frequent spam emails about my Amazon prime account despite not having a prime account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you VIP.  You may well be right although strangely none of the SPAM emails during November have been abount Amazonm Prime, mostly referring to Norton products (some of which I do have).  I have raised this with Norton (as my security provider) but they too have dismissed these as coincidental.  Kind regards

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep I’m probably getting 5 or more a day from “Norton” as is my father, also virgin customer. Seems to be a common issue at the moment.  Obviously not from Norton and if you look at the address being sent from, tend to be different, each or at least majority of the time

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Since my post last Thursday I have received a further 18 SPAM emails, vast majority purporting to be from 'Norton' so almost up to 50 so far during November.  I continue to add filters, block sender and record as SPAM but still they come in, often from the same sender or include a common word.

Surely VM email should recognise the filters I am adding but appears unreliable.

Any suggestions or do I need to change my ISP?

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Changing your  ISP (internet service provider) is unlikely to help with spam emails.  My ISP is Virgin Media and I get only a small amount of spam on the VM email addresses.

The email addresses I have through email providers independent of my ISP receive a larger number of spam emails on  daily basis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Amazon have been mashed with spam so much over the years, they may as well change their name to Hormel Foods.  I detailed it on here back in 2015.  It finally stopped in 2017 when they [Amazon] bought the fake domain.  My guess is that it's the same outfit, but they aren't doing it they way they used to; although I could be wrong.  It's not difficult to generate huge email lists with random names without some of them being real.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your replies.

Are you saying that I just have to put up with SPAM emails and accept that VM's filtering sustem itn't fit for purpose or is there a way to stop/reduce SPAM?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're lucky you only get 30 a month, I get over 100 a DAY! Always about Norton/McAfee, can't believe nothing has been done to control this.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's outrageous.

I'm upto 80+ for November so far and this is after adding more and more filters on VM email system (most of which don't work), blocking senders and classifying them as SPAM.

Starngely enough, I'm now getting loads from 'McAfee' which I don't use but did search (on Google) for which were the best ISPs for eradicating SPAM email and McAfee were high on the list!

I agree, not enough is being done to rid us of these attempts to trick us.

0 Kudos