Menu
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All legitimate mail going to spam

All my mail form legitimate sources that I usually get regulalry are now being sent to spam. I've actually turned spam settings off to try to stop it doing that but no luck.

I use a client so am not receiving any mail at all but when going in to web mail page I can see they are all in the spam folder.  I've missed a good few days of mail, some really important..

Prior to that over recent months with my original spam settings set to put actual spam in the spam folder I had started getting spam mail coming thru like bitcoin, crypto and dysfunction meds and wrote about that in here before but got no response .. Now I have the other extreme where every message to my mailbox is going straight to spam.. 

this is annoying as the whole point of using a client is to get all my mail to one place and not to have to use a browser.

Can someone from Virgin at least reply to this post. I appreciate it is busy but expected a response at some point before and got nothing.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: All legitimate mail going to spam

@Olly wrote:

All my mail form legitimate sources that I usually get regulalry are now being sent to spam. I've actually turned spam settings off to try to stop it doing that but no luck.

What happens if you change the SPAM setting to "Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to inbox."? That's the setting I have always used. It means that you get all the emails in your client but those that VM have flagged as spam have "<spam>" added to the subject line.

The other thing I would suggest is to check in the Webmail settings to see if there are any filter rules set up that might cause all incoming emails to be sent to spam.

Coenoby

BTW, I'm just a VM customer trying to helpful.😉

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had that setting already. . previously I had send spam to spambox and it wasn't working as spam was going to inbox.. so I changed it to the second one . .also had a couple of filters to grab the bitcoin/crypto and sexual stuff which didn't work either.. but  all seemed ok as far as my legitimate mail until a few days ago when I realised no mail was coming thru after someone text me as they needed an urgent reply and I found everything in the spam folder..

So I changed settings today to turn of spam settings completely and still everything went to spam.. I deleted all my filters..  later mail has started coming thru again i.e. the advice of your reply.. bottom line is tho the mail is flaky at the best of times and the very least Virgin spam detection should be able to pick up bitcoin or sexual stuff as spam.. and mail from regular senders as not spam..

if they don't sort it out am going to have to set up a forwarding address which I didn't really want to do and my virgin mail is my main personal private mail and don't want it mixed in with my other ones..

Thanks for trying to help just hope tech people get a flag to check their spam settings and make them work correctly..

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Olly wrote:

I deleted all my filters..  later mail has started coming thru again

Maybe one of those filters was having unforeseen  consequences?

In any event, VM email is definitely flaky and not just in regard to spam. The security is poor compared to offerings such as Gmail, Outlook.com  etc and the Webmail service is basic and not terribly reliable. Also, have you seen the recent posts on here where VM email users are suddenly finding their mailbox limit has been cut by more than 50%?

My advice would be to bite the bullet, set up a new account with a professional email service that is not linked to any Internet Service Provider and  just use your VM address for communication with/from VM themselves.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is exactly what I do and have done so for a few years now. And I spend a lot of time here giving advice on VM mail issues! Makes you wonder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Olly .

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that there is a way you can check whether it was VM spam filtering that was causing the genuine emails to appear in spam.

In Webmail, select one of those affected genuine emails that appeared in your spam folder and look at the source (also known as email header) See below how to get it to display.

Search for "X-SPAM" in the pop up window with the source text. If you find it and it says "X-Spam: yes" then the VM spam filter or their check for spoofed email has identified it as spam. If that line is not present then it was something else that moved the email to the spam folder.

Coenoby

view source 1.png

Olly
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I looked at 2 random ones,  one was from paypal and legitimate no xspam in source but ended up in spam folder, one was from friend who also has an ntlworld email address and that had xspam and also went to spam but so did every single message over 2 days, all from legitimate sources, non went to my inbox..  prior to that they had been going there with no problem.. so no rhyme nor reason on why both should be spammed when they are regular mailers to me too..

frankly it's Virgin tech that need to be looking at why this happened.. I appreciate you trying to help but it's their problem and they need to fix their flaky mail system.. .. 😉

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Olly wrote:

I looked at 2 random ones,  one was from paypal and legitimate no xspam in source but ended up in spam folder,

frankly it's Virgin tech that need to be looking at why this happened.. I appreciate you trying to help but it's their problem and they need to fix their flaky mail system.. ..

Ok, but the fact is that "X-Spam: yes"  is the indicator that VM insert into the email source/header to show that VM have categorized the email as Spam and that it will be appear in the Spam folder rather than the Inbox.

So, any email that does not have that indicator in the header will have been moved into the Spam folder by another mechanism. That's all I can say. 😕

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying to help but it boils down to Virgin getting their act together to sort out their spam detector. Now having turned off spam filtering completely I am back to getting spam as well, altho was getting that before with it turned on anyway.

It does seem that they tend to ignore any 'faults' reported tho .

0 Kudos