Menu
martyp
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All e-mail downloading again on POP3 to Gmail

Hi all,

I have my Gmail account set up to download from another account, e.g. my Virginmedia Mail and all of a sudden it's started downloading all the e-mails from my Blueyonder account which has got 47000 or so in there. Unsure why it's suddenly started happening? I can't find any settings for POP3 in the Virginmedia Webmail, is something happening on the Virginmedia Mail side or is it a Gmail issue?

I believe that once the e-mail has been downloaded via POP3 that it would be flagged to not download it again so it's like that has been reset to download them all again?

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: All e-mail downloading again on POP3 to Gmail

Could this be down to the maintenance? I've had to delete the account from accounts and import in my gmail account as it was downloading 200 emails every 10 minutes with 44000 left to go...

I'm not sure when it's safe to re-add is I thought Pop3 settings could be set to only download emails from a certain time or all of them?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@martyp wrote:

Could this be down to the maintenance? I've had to delete the account from accounts and import in my gmail account as it was downloading 200 emails every 10 minutes with 44000 left to go...

I'm not sure when it's safe to re-add is I thought Pop3 settings could be set to only download emails from a certain time or all of them?

VM Mail does not adhere to the industry standards for POP3 settings leading to unexpected behaviour in certain situations.

Have a read of this post:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/m-p/2994032#M110282

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

martyp
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham, it's annoying as it was perfectly fine for years and years before this weekend. Something Saturday evening 'reset' the POP3 mail retrieval to download all messages. I hoped I'd find something like this:

martyp_0-1607361618228.png

Not sure what to do now. The reason I used the account import feature in Gmail was to have the added spam filtering as although it has improved now years ago on my blueyonder account I had tons of spam e-mail in my inbox. Everytime I try reinstating it in Gmail now it downloads 200 e-mails evern 5 minutes including it seems the content of the spam folder as I first noticed a load of spam e-mails come into my Gmail inbox. I've had the Gmail account for almost 10 years with it set up to import new e-mails from my blueyonder account and it's been great.

It shows 66000 e-mails left to download into Gmail, all of which have already imported so imagine a nightmare of duplicate e-mails. Is it best to give up and access both accounts individually or try again at some point and hope that whatever got broken might get fixed by the admins?

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

martyp_0-1607362099632.png

Might be the only option possibly?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The POP behaviour is never going to be fixed.

There are no POP settings in VM web mail. The system, unlike GMail, works automatically with both email protocols POP (imperfectly) and IMAP (perfectly).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

martyp
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard, it is a shame it worked fine up until Saturday evening for me but it seems the autoforward method I've applied is working the same now. Just a bit annoyed that by the time I noticed the issue (thankfully I caught it quite quickly) it had downloaded a thousand or so old e-mails into my Gmail account. My Gmail spam folder went from a few unread e-mails to around 7000 unread messages in a short period of time as I think Gmail may have reacted as such owing to the e-mails coming in dated 2018 and before...

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you use autoforward then remember that you need to directly access your VM accounts every 90 days or so to keep the accounts alive. Failure to access risks VM deactivating the addresses and the whole thing will fall over.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos