Menu
NealE64
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All Emails Disappeared - don't use iPad or anything else

This morning I went to check my email and my entire inbox is empty, same for sent items; well apart from one message.

This was checked locally on my Outlook 365 then again online.

What's going on?

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: All Emails Disappeared - don't use iPad or anything else

If you put “emails disappeared” into the search box at the top of this page, the result is about 50 threads on this subject in the past 12 months alone. The most common claimed event is that emails have disappeared from one or more folders. The most probable causes are these -

1. Email password has been discovered or guessed by a hacker who has copied and then deleted Inbox and/or other folders such as Sent Objects.

2. Email is accessed through multiple devices (PCs, phones, tablets etc) via IMAP and one or more folder contents accidentally deleted as a result of a typo or failure to understand how IMAP works.

We could fill the page discussing password management - but - suffice it to say that some users have been known – under pressure of time and convenience - to use their email address AND PASSWORD when registering with various sites for commerce, community matters etc – and if said site is hacked, the hackers have their address AND password.

See this post from last month for some more info -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Missing-sent-emails/m-p/4366620

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@NealE64 wrote:

What's going on?

It is time to decide on a backup strategy to avoid getting in this situation again.

Unfortunately VM do not keep backups of your email account but for future reference it is easy to create a backup file of your emails from within Outlook. See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/back-up-your-email-e5845b0b-1aeb-424f-924c-aa1c33b18833

There are also many backup software packages available so take a look at  those.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
NealE64
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have been using MS Outlook for many years and have been using pst files to archive my emails on a monthly basis, but this time due to a family death have been rather distracted. Thankfully I had decided some time ago to move away from VM email as their service has been inconsistent in the past and what has been lost wasn't too much of an issue. VM really are below par on their ability to deliver a consistent email service; ever since they lost the gmail service it has been awful.

0 Kudos
NealE64
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unlikely:

1. Email password has been discovered or guessed by a hacker who has copied and then deleted Inbox and/or other folders such as Sent Objects. - Very unlikely due to unique password generation with combination of characters.  This generator makes unique logins and passwords for all sites I access.

2. Email is accessed through multiple devices (PCs, phones, tablets etc) via IMAP and one or more folder contents accidentally deleted as a result of a typo or failure to understand how IMAP works. - Read the header, no other devices used just one PC for a reason, besides to accidently delete sent items as well as inbox would take a special kind of incompetence.  And I know exactly how IMAP works - I should do considering where I work!

No, this problem is 100% with Virgin Media. Excuses abound ever time they (you have a glitch as one would assume you work for Virgin Media). That is why I have decided to move all my email away from them/you. Soon the TV and Broadband service shall follow as VM really are not offering value any more.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. I do not work for VM. I just have many years experience of managing computer systems.

2. You said - “no other devices used just one PC” - so when did you stop using your iphone to view emails?

3. You’ll be telling me next that a phone with an IMAP connection to your email and knowledge of the password to same – doesn’t count as a “device”?

4. Complete deletion of Webmail Inbox contents – or any other email folder contents – is a common tell-tale technique used by hackers to delay victims identifying or remembering who needs to be notified about what whilst the hacker is looking through the data for juicy targets. It buys them some analysis time.

The bottom line is that you have at least some recent email backups to fall back on.

This gives some guidance about what to do if you suspect you have been hacked -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

0 Kudos
NealE64
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Read what I wrote.  Yes, I use it on the POC only.  I have no need to have it on my phone as I use a more reliable email account for 90% of my other email communication now.  

1. I do not work for VM. I just have many years experience of managing computer systems. Yeah, whatever!

2. You said - “no other devices used just one PC” - so when did you stop using your iphone to view emailsBelieve it or not I don't have VM meail on any other device.  

3. You’ll be telling me next that a phone with an IMAP connection to your email and knowledge of the password to same – doesn’t count as a “device”?  Above. There is no other device connected to the awful VM email.

4. Complete deletion of Webmail Inbox contents – or any other email folder contents – is a common tell-tale technique used by hackers to delay victims identifying or remembering who needs to be notified about what whilst the hacker is looking through the data for juicy targets. It buys them some analysis time.  Or another **bleep**-up by Virgin.  

No need to reply as you are not being helpful.

0 Kudos
NealE64
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. I do not work for VM. I just have many years experience of managing computer systems. OK

2. You said - “no other devices used just one PC” - so when did you stop using your iphone to view emails? Yes, I don't have VM email on any other device.  I use a more reliable provider.  This email is used in isolation.

3. You’ll be telling me next that a phone with an IMAP connection to your email and knowledge of the password to same – doesn’t count as a “device”?  I know what a device is so stop being condescending.

4. Complete deletion of Webmail Inbox contents – or any other email folder contents – is a common tell-tale technique used by hackers to delay victims identifying or remembering who needs to be notified about what whilst the hacker is looking through the data for juicy targets. It buys them some analysis time. Security 101.

I too work in IT, have done for more than 20 years.  This occurrence is unusual and I guarantee is down to Virgin inability to deliver a stable email platform.  

You are not being helpful, so don't bother replying.

0 Kudos