Menu
Essex52
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Adult Dating spam to 2 blueyonder email accounts

In the last 2 days I have received 10 spam messages per day to two of my blueyonder email addresses - all from senders called Adult Dating or adult dating 1 (etc)! I'm trying to rack my brains to try and remember if I've logged in to any different/suspicious website recently or if I've entered my email address into any web form - but unfortunately I just can't remember....

I could easily close one of those accounts without worrying too much about losing contact with anyone. But I use the other account for lots of websites and think it would be a nightmare to try and change them all?

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adult Dating spam to 2 blueyonder email accounts

Hi Essex52,

Your email addresses could have been picked up from someone other than yourself. Heaven knows how they get hold of them. Be a shame to go through the hassle of deleting your email addresses.

You could try the multi-spam filter I posted here (see message 15) which sends anything you have listed straight to your spam folder....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Filter-Syntax/td-p/4125247/page/2

It's easy enough to add your own to the filter - just omit any part of the senders (probably spoofed) email address that change (? random numbers / letters). Have a look at the list and you'll get the idea. 

There's an updated filter list further on, at message 21.

Essex52
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I sign in to Virgin Media Mail with one of my blueyonder.co.uk  email addresses and collect 3 of my other Virgin Media email accounts on the same log in. So do I have to sign in to the affected email account itself in order to set up a spam filter successfully?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you would have to set up the filters on the individual accounts, as each account acts independently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'Heaven knows how they get hold of them'

competitions, facebook/twitter postings, hacked either personally or someone they know has had their email account hacked, apps which require an email address, random email generators which 'make up names' in the hope some are real. the list is endless. most people's email address is on https://haveibeenpwned.com/. one i have never used is on there too. my main non virgin one isn't.....yet anyway.