Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Address lists and contacts

Hi , I have a contact list of almost 300 addresses but less than half are in alphabetical order. After Z I have a red omega sign then a second lot of addresses all muddled up. How can I tidy things and get all of them into some sort of order

Hoping a guru can guide me

ericg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Address lists and contacts

Non-Latin alphabets appear in order under the Ω index symbol; unfortunately this ordering cannot be refined further.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi VIP, Can you explain why I have many addresses in the omega section?  It appears to be completely random as to whether an address appears in the alphabetical list or in the mixed up omega list.

For instance Why should (the imaginary) FredSmith@ntlworld.com appear in the alphabetical list whereas  JimSmith@ntlworld.com  is in the muddled up omega list 

Any thoughts and can I move the contacts into alphabetical list in some way

Any thoughts please??

ericg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It is the contact's Last name, specifically the first character, that dictate where it appear in the Address Book index, for example whilst the last name for Fred Smith and Fred Տmith may lookalike the former is using a Latin capital letter S whilst the latter is using Armenian capital letter tiwn resulting in the following:

2020-04-26.jpeg

To correct this the last name for the contact indexed under Ω should be amended to use a Latin capital S resulting in:

2020-04-26.jpeg

It is likely the correspondence from which the contact detail was extracted used non-Latin characters in the email address's display name resulting in the Address Book entries you see.

Should further explanation be required it would be help if you could copy and paste the last name of an entry indexed under Ω.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Still very puzzling. Many of the addresses do not have  full names, usually without capitals eg fredsmith@ntlworld.com, some are with numbers eg fred432@ntlworld.com others are like editor.@ thetimes or info@thetimes. Very few are of the simple Fred.Smith form I originally spoke about.

Incidentally how would I change from Armenian to Latin capitals? completely beyond my skill or knowledge!!

VIP Hoping you can still help

ericg 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think it would be helpful if we both had the same point of reference and to facilitate this can you do the following with one of the contacts that is indexed under Ω and is not confidential or private:

• locate the entry in the address book
  • select the entry
  • highlight the main details and then press Ctrl + C to copy the text, for example for Fred Տmith:
    2020-04-27.jpeg
  • paste the text into your reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ericg wrote:

Incidentally how would I change from Armenian to Latin capitals? completely beyond my skill or knowledge!!

You already have the correct configuration, just edit the entry indexed under Ω; this will hopefully become clearer once we are both working from the same point reference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VIP, here is an entry from the Omega section

[removed]

Email and Messaging Email 3 [removed]

ericg

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi VIP, here is one from the alphabetical section

[removed]

Email and Messaging Email 3 [removed] ericg

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi VIP, I have sent you copies of entries from both sections of the address book after modifications by the system probably because of HTML troubles at first, but they do not seem to be in my sent mail folder.

This note is just to tell I have sent them(in case you have not received them.

ericg

0 Kudos