cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a email to a mobile phone

Helenevans
Joining in

Hi I am trying to add a virgin email on to my new mobile phone. You get so far and then when I add my password is says email or password incorrect but we know it’s not.  The email is linked to a virginmedia broadband account. Can anyone help please

11 REPLIES 11

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Helenevans wrote:

Hi I am trying to add a virgin email on to my new mobile phone. You get so far and then when I add my password is says email or password incorrect but we know it’s not.  The email is linked to a virginmedia broadband account. Can anyone help please

Email client error messages when adding email accounts can be a bit misleading, often suggesting the email or password is incorrect when it is another setting that is wrong.

Check all the settings match those set out here: Email settings change (virginmedia.com)

Also, to rule out a password issue, make sure that you can log into the VM Webmail page for the email address using this url: https://mail.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

we have proven the password is correct. The issue we think there is that there is not a direct logging to the virgin media webmail. It is accessed via logging in to my vm account and then clicking on a secondary link. Can anyone tell

me how to rectify this please 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Adding the address to an email app on a mobile phone uses the settings as described in the link I posted earlier.  These use a different route compared to webmail access so the My VM login is a red herring in this case.

What make of mobile do you have and what email app are you trying to add the address to?

I use the BlueMail app on my android phone without issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

We are trying to use the gmail app but we will try the blue mail one 

We have tried the blue mail and it’s not worked. Same issue doesn’t recognise the password 

Did you solve this @Helenevans?

Same boat here.  I've tried to add a second VM email to Bluemail but it fails and tells me the password is wrong.

To test further, I went into the basic GMail App and tried to add my everyday VM email account (it's actually still an Ntlworld account) - and it tells me that password is wrong too.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mail box App password management 

Hi, yes, this is exactly what looks like it's happened!

I have changed the password on a secondary VM email account to make it much more secure but I couldn't add it to an email client as it failed to authenticate.

What got really confusing was I then changed my main email password and went to change it in the Client - but it told me it was wrong - when I knew it wasn't.  Except, it was 'wrong' because it now wanted a different one that I wasn't aware of?  Even more confusing was the client still connected and received new emails with the 'old' password.  Is this because I hadn't set an App password so the old one still worked?

I just wasted a couple of hours trying to sort this believing I'd be told here I was making a typo in the App for the password but knew I wasn't! 😠

So, basically, the account password is the same as the email password until we now change it?  At the point we change the account password, we now have a separate email password that we need to change - but can't actually choose what it is (it seems to be 4 dictionary words)?

Is there any further into on this?

Many thanks!

Good Morning @sjw211, can you please confirm if you're able to access the inboxes you're referring to via our webmail service?

Have you been able to follow the helpful instructions from @Graham_A, in relation to setting up a memorable word for E-Mail clients, and has this now worked for you?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn