forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
dadslad
Tuning in
Message 21 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

However, what you have said in essence is that Virgin had a data breach, my email address might be in common circulation and I'm the one who has to put up with all the [REMOVED] whilst Virgin shrug their shoulders and pass it off as one of those things. Typical corporate attitude.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 22 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

Yep I agree. Me too I am also suffering from this.

Seems like virgin are not listening to customers live or lapsed about the amount of spam getting through to the mailboxes.

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 23 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree, this seems to be the main issue ie. receiving too many phishing emails as per my original thread title. Inboxes @ntlworld.?? @virgin.net etc. Not sure if the same is being experienced by @virginmedia.com email mailbox users.

All seem to be receiving more spam / phishing just recently. This points to a change in phishing volumes externally, a change, or failure on Virgin email spam filtering systems. Either way as Virgin cannot control the senders, all they can do is filter it and protect the mailbox users. 

It would be interesting to know if recent VirginMedia mailboxes owned by fee paying customers are receiving similar 10-20 phishing emails a day. If so perhaps those people can use the support channels available to them (but not some of us) to escalate the issue and build some priority to address this by VirginMedia. 

One point made was that a third party supports email (maybe just older addresses) if this is the case then Virgin needs to hold this supplier to account as they are failing to protect email users.

Whether mailbox users are fee paying or lapsed customers we will all pay the price of fraud as it raises our banking and insurance costs.

I'll get down from my soapbox now. Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 24 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If that's the case then you can put spam filters on through the webmail service.

I'll pop a link here that may help.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 25 of 27
Flag for a moderator

<If that's the case then you can put spam filters on through the webmail service.
I'll pop a link here that may help.
Thanks, Emily.>

Thanks Emily, I think that sounds great for live broadband subscribers.

For us legacy users (@virgin.net, @NTLworld etc) we can't even access webmail (our email login does not work at that page) to make that setting. All we are allowed to do is pickup email via IMAP, POP3, SMTP.

Unfortunately for now we sit in virgin-media-email purgatory waiting for ascent to Virgin-fibre-in-your-area-now-Heaven or descent to Stuck-with-BT-for-life-Hell. As non fee paying we can't change passwords or set spam filtering.

Seems like a real oversight by Virgin but clearly at present we do not make money for Virgin. But with care we may return as valuable customers !!

I and a few others, would greatly welcome the means to access webmail, whilst waiting for VirginMedia to return to our areas, and improve our spam filtering situation and change email passwords. This benefits Virgin in the long term to ensure mailboxes are secure and not abused for the good reputation of VirginMedia.

Sorry I think I may have stepped back on the soapbox again. Please forgive me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@chrispruden 

As you do not have an active Virgin Media broadband account the email address concerned is classed as orphaned.  It should have been closed down shortly after you ceased to be a customer.   Email/Orphan-Email-accounts 

The Virgin Media Forum Team staff will be able to arrange for the email address to be properly deleted and the phishing/spam issue will go away.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 27 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham_A,  I and my fellow ophans are aware of our plight and the sword of damocles hanging over us.

As mentioned earlier there is good reason to hang on to these accounts for the user and for Virgin Meida. One forum admin has kindly agreed to not expedite this process for me. I personally would prefer Virgin fibre and to regain the truely-loved-by-virgin-media status.

For now however I was trying to lend a voice for those fellow orphans in a similar plight of email purgatory.

Hope you understand.

0 Kudos