Menu
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

I hear you  and  . Not sure Virgin are considering the impact on their customer base if as you say they delete without warning !

Thanks for your concern though.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

Hi chrispruden,

Thank you for coming back to me, I understand you could do without losing it, if you do decide you would like us to permanently delete it please let us know.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@chrispruden wrote:

I hear you  and  . Not sure Virgin are considering the impact on their customer base if as you say they delete without warning !

Thanks for your concern though.

Technically they do give warning as this is clearly stated in the Ts&Cs when you originally sign up (yes I know, nobody ever actually reads them; but still) - and, of course, if you are no longer a VM broadband customer and paying them anything then you can't really claim to be part of their 'customer base' can you?

0 Kudos
Pherrington
Joining in
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue, this post wasn’t about being an existing customer but about a sudden increase in phishing  email volumes....I am receiving double digit volumes every day for the last few weeks. Can you therefore answer the query ( I am by the way an existing customer so don’t bother dismissing the genuine concern raised as these are dangerous and you should be active not passive)

something has changed and nothing is being done but that’s typical virgin media... hoping it goes away, or you grind us down!

for the last week or more I have forwarded these to the virgin phishing email address as you recommend on the promise that all these are looked at. Nothing has happened and I am getting the same emails day after day. I have now stopped sending these on because clearly they disappear into the ether.

SO WHAT IS BEING DONE, ITS AN ONGOING ISSUE !!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@Pherrington wrote:

ITS AN ONGOING ISSUE !!!!

Judging by how many people have reported it on here it is definitely a major issue.

A couple of factors that don't help are:

1) The "Virgin Media" email service is an email platform administered by Ziggo in the Netherlands, Ziggo is another arm of the  US based Liberty Global company which owns Virgin Media. I may be wrong but it seems as if any development of the system is done by Ziggo not VM.

2) and perhaps more importantly, Virgin Media see their email service as merely a "free" service they offer to their broadband customers. They don't see it as a part of their core business.

That does not justify their apparent lack of action on VM's  part but I think it explains it.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
dadslad
Tuning in
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I'm also getting between 15 and 20 phishing emails a day now. I was notified (was it 2 years ago) that my email was one of the ones compromised when Virgin had their data breach so I'm wondering if someone has finally got around to using them.

My wife is also getting a ton of spam and as all online shopping etc. is done via MY email address, I won't accept any suggestion that our email has been compromised at some other online retailer.

Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Dadslad, did you reset the passwords for these after receiving the notification of the data breach? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
dadslad
Tuning in
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, yes of course I did but I don't see how anyone knowing my password would result in MY being spammed at my email address. Fact is that you now have SEVERAL Virgin email customers complaining of severe increase in phishing emails, the common denominator? they're all Virgin email users. Suggest that this problem is greater than one individual who may or may not have reset their password.

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I think the issue is best summarised in that.. Firstly, the virgin email addresses (possibly only older ones such as @virgin.net) are out in the public domain due to at one point being exposed due to lapse email server security. Therefore they are the recipients of many more spam emails than newer email addresses. Secondly, the email filtering employed by virgin is less aggressive (potentially less advanced) than that of larger players such as google gmail.

Thirdly, if your email account (password) is compromised then many people will have received email from your address. Unfortunately it appears that once you cease to be a virgin paying customer there is no way to change your password so there may well be lapsed accounts being used for nefarious purposes unknown to the original customer.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
dadslad
Tuning in
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator

No not really. Yes I do have an old email address (ntlworld) but I'm not getting phishing from virgin email addresses. Here's a sample of where they're comin from: 

bol.com, leedsbuildingsociety.com, ichbusiness.com, arunaluminium.com, bandsintown.com, hostgator.com, pb-dynmktg.com, berlinskemedia.com, atlanticrecords.com, tenderapp.com, thecereerwallet.net, email.justfab.com, videotron.ca, psarras.org, ibm.com.

Most of these are trying to get me to renew either Norton or McAfee, plus the usual free gifts, sign up for bitcoin etc.

My wife (also ntlworld) is getting similar messages.

0 Kudos