Menu
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

My virgin.net email address is receiving loads of unsolicited phishing emails in the last month and suddenly a big increase in last two days.

Is this being addressed by the virgin team to filter these out?

0 Kudos
ColinB60
Tuning in
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

Same for me, over 20 today and yesterday to my virgin.net account. They are not even going to Spam!

Virgin need to act on this.

chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Active virgin.net email receiving 10 phishing emails a day. Huge increase in volume..

Still coming through thick and fast. Is VirginMedia looking into this at all?

There must be a huge number of people being hit by these malicious emails.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

welcome to the digital age

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Yes for sure, but most ISPs block the obvious malicious stuff. Gmail might let one or two through in a week.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

gmail has billions to spend on R&D. they get billions of emails a day to analizer and have the processing power to use AI to anilize them.
ISP do not

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi chrispruden,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you seem to be getting a lot of phishing mails in your virgin.net email, I tried to have a look at things our end however it looks like you may no longer be a customer if this is the case all we can do is permanently delete the email account, if you would like us to do this I will need to take further information and invite you into a private chat.

Regards

Paul.l

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

and if you are no longer a customer your email address can be deleted at any time without warning.
VM are trying to clean up old accounts not linked to an active account

0 Kudos
chrispruden
Tuning in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

I can understand the response. I kept my Virgin.net email active, since being a longstanding dial-up and then broadband customer, when Virgin could no longer provide a competitive service in our area. The aim being that I can resume my use of that email address with Virgin.net when finally fibre comes to our area.

I see that it is "coming soon" to our area. So I most definitely do not want to loose this email. Also it is in very active use.

My concern is for those customers old and current that must be getting fed up with these dangerous emails. Moreover, there has been a tenfold increase in these in the last days weeks and couple of months. Hence why I flagged this as needing attention.

Customer service extends from pre-service to in-service to after-sale-service. It secures new, current and future business respectively. 

Removing email accounts and the threat of doing so does not lead to new business and neither does providing a substandard level of care.

Anyways sorry for giving my penny's-worth.

I'll keep an eye out for improvements, "service now available" in my area and communications regarding removal of email accounts. Hopefully I'll spot these communications between the rubbish filling my mailbox !

Hopefully current customers are having better results than old and future customers.

Best regards and have a great weekend all. 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@chrispruden I can't stress strongly enough that you need to move away from using the virgin.net email account immediately, it is absolutely liable to be deleted at any time without warning, especially now that you have brought it to VM's attention and they have noticed that you are no longer a customer.

Use of all of the VM email addresses is dependent on you having an active broadband account, once that stops, the email addresses and mailboxes should be deleted within 90 days. Obviously that doesn't always happen but they are always living on borrowed time and subject to deletion with no warning.

In theory at least, if you were to sign up to a VM broadband package, before your mailbox keeps caught up in a periodic cleanup, then it should be possible to have it associated with your new account, once it has been deleted though, the address cannot be recycled (ie you won't get it back), and all mail in it will be  gone with no chance of them being reinstated.

Like I say, you have to make alternative arrangements NOW!

0 Kudos